Roof Leak? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

roof leak?

I have two dish network dishes on my roof of my 2 story house.

Noted today that on my 1st floor ceiling there are water stains

The stains are pretty much directly under where the 2 dishes are installed, but on the 1st floor.

On the 2nd floor, directly above the stains, there is a nearby (not directly above) toilet in my master bath. The stain is about 2 feet from the house's outer wall, and I don't believe the stain is a result of any leaks from the toilet because all supply and drain pipes would go down the outer house wall.

The stain is located almost directly under where there is the inner wall that encloses my toilet for privacy.

I will go into the attic tonight to see if there are any depressions in the insulation, and will further inspect when it rains.

My gut tells me that the stains aren't from the toilet, but instead, from water going through the roof, dripping onto the attic floor, and down the inside of the inner wall in the toilet room, and onto the 1st floor ceiling.

Just to note, the dish was probably installed 1/2 year ago, but it's been hot lately with rain/wind. I was up on the ladder this past weeked and noted that the shingle seemed to be warping where the dishes are secured onto the roof.

If I see anything in the attic, I plan to get the roofer to remove the satellite dishes, remove the shingles, install ice and water shield, and then new shingles. The dish guy would then reinstall the dishes.

I'm also considering punching a pencil size hole into the ceiling so that I can confirm to myself that when it's not raining, there is no water coming through.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by handy man88; 06-05-2013 at 08:27 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

roof leak?

Dish look at the underside of the sheathing right under the dishes and then see if you see water trace marks going down the top chord of your trusses, rafters.

It sounds a bit far fetched that it would be the dishes, but anythings possible. Dish guys are as bad a Larry the cable guy. They would drill holes in a submarine.

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

roof leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Dish look at the underside of the sheathing right under the dishes and then see if you see water trace marks going down the top chord of your trusses, rafters.

It sounds a bit far fetched that it would be the dishes, but anythings possible. Dish guys are as bad a Larry the cable guy. They would drill holes in a submarine.
If nothing else, I do recall about 3 weeks ago I changed out the supply valve and line for that toilet. I shut off the main first. When I was draining the house pipes before removing the supply valve, I prematurely shut off the kitchen faucet because I thought there was no more pressure on the 2nd floor line as I left the valve open.

I noticed later that this caused water to come out of the open supply valve from the feed on the floor. A large puddle formed in the toilet floor until I reopened the kitchen faucet to relieve the pressure. Water could have come down the floor penetration of the supply pipe and caused the stain. Not sure.

I hadn't noticed the ceiling stain until now.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

roof leak?

Just checked out the attic.

It appears that based on the location of the dishes (above the eaves of my hip roof), even if it was leaking there, the insulation baffles would channel any water towards the outer roof to the soffits, and not inside the house. Also, the slope of the roof and the water tension would also direct the water the same way.

I couldn't find any lag bolts (from a distance) where water could drip from. I recall the dish installer telling me that he always installs the lag bolts onto the joists, vice through the sheathing only.

Holding out hope that the ceiling stains were from the toilet repair.

Will wait until it rains next time to go check it out.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

roof leak?

If the leaked to the outside wall, you would more likely see the water stains in other places (baseboards, carpet, flooring, window headers, platform separations, etc).

Sounds like you got a bit too much water on the floor or that valve was leaking.

Hopefully you didn't torque it to badly getting it repaired and/or crack the copper/piping inside the wall.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
handy man88 (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #6

roof leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
If the leaked to the outside wall, you would more likely see the water stains in other places (baseboards, carpet, flooring, window headers, platform separations, etc).

Sounds like you got a bit too much water on the floor or that valve was leaking.

Hopefully you didn't torque it to badly getting it repaired and/or crack the copper/piping inside the wall.
I can maybe blame DIY chatroom for the water on the floor.

As the pipes were draining in the kitchen, I thought the water pressure was low, so I shut off the kitchen faucet and went to do some more reading/research on this website.

About 20 min later, I walked into the bathroom and there was a floor full of water. The copper supply pipe is through the floor, so any water can make its way from the valve under the escutcheon or the collar, I surmise. I guess I just didn't notice any water in the ceiling right away b/c it may take time for water to soak through the drywall.

WRT torquing the copper pipe, I hope not. The benefit of using compression nuts is that you have two wrenches that you use counter rotating, vice screw thread. Just hope it was this.

Advertisement