Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof Heat Vent Leakage

Water has seeped through one of my square heat vents on my roof causing water damage to my kitchen ceiling. This vent is located directly above the damage. The roof is two years old. The roofer is not claiming responsibility stating that the damage occured from "blowing sideways rain" that entered the vent. The roofer came out and inspected the damage and proceeded to strip away about 1/4 inch of shingle around the vent and then chalked the vent edge. Is the water damaged caused by "sideways blowing rain" or the initial improper installation of the roof heat vents.

Thanks so much,

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ROOF.pdf (61.0 KB, 65 views)

vlindell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Roof Heat Vent Leakage

What would be ideal is if you could post a pic of 1.Interior damage (Dry wall),2.The underside of your roof deck below the vent (Attic),3. A pic of the vent in question.(Roof top)

Depending on the pic of the interior damage.(How much damage present) And if you could explain when you began to see the damage.(How long ago?)

Also if you can agree that you did or didn't have alot of heavy wind driven rains associated with severe weather.

I have seen some damage from wind driven rain.Depending on the type of vent (Manufacture,design etc.) it can be determined if it is plausible for rain entering from the side of the vent.

During my final sweep of the roof I seal the sides of the vents.Is it necessary? Nope,,but does it make me feel more comfortable knowing its sealed up?? Absolutely.

Those roof vents (Depending on manufacture and design) have grooves in the flashing part for a bead of cement.

When installing those styles of vents I cut my shingles about 1/2" away from each side and the back.

If you are afraid of heights don't climb on the roof.If you take a pic (Roof top) Do it safely.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 08-19-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote