Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

Roof Guys Have Looked at my Roof...Now waiting for quotes

The second guy stopped by this morning to look at my new roof to quote putting on shingles. (first guy to look at it has done work for me before...I have good history with him)

I had what I consider a good conversation....based on the input from you guys....he said all the right things.

This is the guy that prefers the torch down...other guy says hot mop....

This guy prefers the synthetic cover vs tar paper....says it lasts longer if left exposed (jives with what you guys said)

On the subject of material.....

First guy says for me to buy the material directly.
Second guy...either way....he has to call Monday to get a quote...says he does not mark up material...if I want to buy...fine...or he can...either way he will fax me a copy of the material quote.

So....it looks like it will come down their cost for labor.

Even though I have history with the first guy....baring a big difference in price....I'm inclined to go with the second guy. He was wearing a t-shirt with the company name on it...as well as his lic #. I know it seems silly....but, he was honest about everything.....and actually measured the roof....1st guy just looked at it....took my word for the size.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

A contractor that wants the customer to buy the materials?! When customers say to me that they want to buy the materials that is a big red flag. I suppose the inverse is also true.

Didn't measure the roof?! I suppose if you are giving a labor only price you can look at a roof on a single family residence and will know if it's a one day or two day job, but still the roof should be measured.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

Grumby....guess we caught you sleeping.....

Roof is done....I went with the second guy....who bought the material....actually measured the roof....and had me sign a 'real' contract....which spelled out all the conditions...including payment....1st payment due when material is delivered...remaining due on completion.....ended up giving him one check....when I asked him if he was ready for the 1st check his response "pay me tomorrow...we will be done by then".

And they were done....banged it out just in time...before the rains hit....

You can see the pics in my 2-story addition build thread...link is in my signature....

But thanks for chiming in....you confirmed my decision.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Naaaa not sleeping. I just don't come by daily.

Sounds like you made the right choice and went with the professional roofing contractor as opposed to the guy who does roofing.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote