Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 AM   #1

Share |

Roof Groaning and Hair Line Cracks

Roof is currently making a groaning noise that I have never heard before. It's a sloping roof, if that helps, in a townhouse style house. We're currently in the middle of a snow storm that is hitting the east coast pretty badly. Winds are about 25-30 miles per hour and our house is right on the corner of the row of townhouses. I'm very concerned because I hear the roof groaning and there was a small hairline fracture on the hallway roof that has expanded and cracked a couple centimeters. I believe it is slightly dipping as well. Also I have noticed two hairline fractures that have expanded and moved through into the closet ceiling.

I will call someone in the morning because I know that there is something wrong but I wanted to ask whether I should be extremely concerned about this to the point of demanding immediate help with this now? Is the wind making the ceiling groan like this? And are the chances of it collapsing high?

P.S. How is the frame of the roof built? If one side breaks in will the rest be ok?

jimene89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Yes, you should be concerned. You musta got a helluva lot of wet snow up there.

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

that's crazy! I had almost 3' of snow on my roof early December. I have 24" on center 2x4 truss framing up there. Do you ever remember seeing the inside of your attic?

What did it look like? Get the snow off your roof if you think that is causing it. Get a "roof rake" if you can find someone who's not sold out.

Good luck.
pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Just a friendly FYI for you or anyone else reading this post.

When removing snow, remember you are just trying to get the weight off, not make it look pretty. Save yourself added grief and expense this spring and LEAVE 6" ON THE ROOF!

There is no need to be shovelling down to the shingles. This will more than likely cause damage to the roof.

It's not the depth of the snow, but the density. If it's a dry snow, weight isn't an issue but if it's wet a small amount weighs a helluva lot.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 12-27-2010 at 09:27 PM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimene89 View Post
Roof is currently making a groaning noise that I have never heard before. It's a sloping roof, if that helps, in a townhouse style house. We're currently in the middle of a snow storm that is hitting the east coast pretty badly. Winds are about 25-30 miles per hour and our house is right on the corner of the row of townhouses. I'm very concerned because I hear the roof groaning and there was a small hairline fracture on the hallway roof that has expanded and cracked a couple centimeters. I believe it is slightly dipping as well. Also I have noticed two hairline fractures that have expanded and moved through into the closet ceiling.

I will call someone in the morning because I know that there is something wrong but I wanted to ask whether I should be extremely concerned about this to the point of demanding immediate help with this now? Is the wind making the ceiling groan like this? And are the chances of it collapsing high?

P.S. How is the frame of the roof built? If one side breaks in will the rest be ok?
Do you mean there is a hairline fracture in the roof or the ceiling (e.g. drywall) inside your home?

Have you checked outside to confirm that there is a lot of snow on your roof? With the winds during this blizzard, a lot of snow has probably blown off the roof. From the video I have seen, it looks like a powdery snow, but news reports say it's wet snow.

Have you checked with your neighbors to see if they have the same issue? The good thing is that you have a sloped roof.

It is normal to hear noises on the roof as the wind whips around. If you can, you may want to take a peek in the attic. In the meantime, if it makes you feel better, I would call a roofing/gutter company to see if they can remove the snow off your roof.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fracture, groaning, hair line, roof