Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Share |

roof extension advice

I am adding an 8x12 deck to my house and planning to extend the small roofline of the house out to cover the new deck. (see attached picture)
I want to leave the front eave detailing as-is since it is original to the house and I find it kind of charming. The plan was to remove the crown molding above that, and tie the roof in there. The existing roofing would be removed and redone so it's all one piece on the smaller eave.

I have done a lot of research, but I am still undecided as to whether to do a trussed roof or use rafters and a ridge board. The truss roof seems like a simpler solution just due to the amount of miter cuts and notching in the rafter option, but I am leaning toward the rafters just based on the style of my house. I have had a hard time finding a good source for some guidance as to what supports I need (and spacing of those supports) for rafters. If anyone can direct me to helpful information regarding rafters and supports, I would appreciate it. I don't want my porch to look saggy like my neighbor's!

Anyone have any opinions on trusses vs. rafters and why you would choose one over another?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
roof extension advice-house-front-view.jpg  

EmilyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

roof extension advice

That's one strange looking thing someone stuck on the front of the house. It throws off the whole balance of the wall. Makes it look like there was a porch roof at one time and someone tryed to blend it into the new addition.
Trusses would be stronger and self supporting in the middle for less sagging.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

roof extension advice

IMO a truss system will save some money and possibly time.Trusses would be my first choice.Also a good concrete contractor would also be on my list.

Your home design is something the truss company can work with.Do you have a design already picked out ?

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

roof extension advice

IMHO, if you want to feature the existing gable detailing, you should stick frame. Trusses are utilitarian in appearance and not meant to be exposed.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
porch, roof extension