Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

roof edge and gutter problem

I uploaded two pictures of my roof edge and guttering. I don't know how to point you to them.

I need to know what to do to make rain go into the guttering and not behind it. The old drip edge appears to be flattened in some places, and in some areas the edge of the roof is "ruffled" or raised up. The decking under it is flat. It may be the drip edge that is holding it up.

Can I replace the drip edge without re-roofing? I do not think I need a new roof.

I'm an old woman of modest means, but I can still climb a ladder and swing a hammer.

joni41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

CAN SOMEONE MORE QUALIFIED THAN ME HELP THIS NICE LADY!

don't worry mam,a roofing mechanic should be with you shortly

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

I'm just a DIYer, but, yes, you can replace drip edge without putting on a new roof. It's not easy as you will have to loosen up the first row of shingles and the starter course. These are sealed down with the tar you see on the shingles. You will then have to remove the roofing nails that are holding the drip edge in place....again, not an easy task. You will have to work a pry bar so it can be placed under each nail and the nail can be lifted out of the roof sheathing. After removing the nails, the drip edge usually slides down & you can remove it. Replace it with new drip edge by lifting the first row of shingles and the starter course and sliding the new DE in under the shingles..........nail down. A professional roofer may be able to suggest some easier methods of replacing the DE, but, that's how I've gone about it in the past.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Thank you! Sounds like it is a job to do before it gets cold and the shingles get stiff.
joni41 is offline   Reply With Quote