Roof Edge - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof edge

I believe I have a serious problem here. I just bought this house a year ago. It was built in 1907. It is a two story house with an unfinished basement over part of it. There is a full attic over the original house. I say original because a room was added between the garage and the house about 10 years ago. There is an attic over the add-on room and garage.

The problem is over the existing house. There was a pretty serious storm out of the northeast. Now, the roof over-hang is bent down pretty good and the room upstairs got a lot of water in it. The plaster ceiling and wall started to crumble.

When I go up in the attic, I can see outside between the roof awning and the top of the wall.

How do I fix this?

I will post pictures tomorrow when it is daylight.

Advertisement

BlkNGld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Roof edge

Roof edge-image-2373732902.jpg

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #3

Roof edge

This is the side of the house where the problem is located. It is kind of far away, but it is the only picture I have if that side. I will go get pics from inside the attic and post them.

Then, tomorrow, I will get pics during the day of the overhang and where it sags.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

Roof edge

Roof edge-image-2208922048.jpg

This is the attic. There are strange cables (very thin lines) all around the attic.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Roof edge

Is the overview picture of the house all you have? We do not even have any idea what kind of roof you have. Sorry, I see you are going to post some pictures tomorrow.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Roof edge

Roof edge-image-907640586.jpg

Here is where the problem is on the inside. It is hard to tell but when you get close, you can see/reach outside, way up where the eaves connects at the outside wall. The eaves is/are hanging down outside at the gutter.

I really have to know how to fix this as I cannot come close to affording a contractor.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

Roof edge

It is tough to tell exactly what is the issue from the picture but it could have been some storm damage that pulled the fascia board away.

Several things going on here:
- Skip sheathing roof
- Poor insulation
- appears to be mechanical damage to the roof

Without sounding rude, this is probably not a U-Fix-it type repair. That is not a beginner type roof to walk or to repair.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 572

Roof edge

Just a guess but I agree with the skip sheeting but it also looks like at one time it had shakes on the roof, I can see what looks like a broken one leaning down.
If someone tryed just using shingles over shakes you have a real problum.
That whole roof needed to be stripped and sheathing added before any shingles went on.
Going to be a very expencive job to do right.

Someone knew all this and just chose to cheap out.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Roof edge

You have still not told us what type of roof you have, but I am going to guess that you have a worn out asphalt shingle roof over wood shakes on spaced sheathing.

In days gone by, strips of wood called Horse feathers were used to level out the surface of a wood shake roof to allow the installation of asphalt shingles. Many moons ago my neighbor was getting this done, and my dad showed up. I looked up and said to him look what those idiots are doing dad! He said to me, "what idiots, they are installing horse feathers, that's how you do a recover over shakes" Go figure. This is one of many times when my dad was using the correct term, and I thought he was pulling my leg. As you can tell from the root of the word below, I was correct in thinking that the process was idiotic, as that seems to correctly describe the process. I thought it was stupid back then, and still do. Roofing is 95 % common sense, like plumbing.

The matter is somewhat confused because of another known sense of the word. Charles Earl Funk, formerly editor-in-chief of the Funk & Wagnalls dictionaries, gave the title Horsefeathers to one of his books on odd words. He told the story in the foreword of having come across it when having his house repaired by an aged master carpenter. On seeking further information from — of all bodies — the National Board of Fire Underwriters, he obtained the following comments:
It refers, as indicated in your letter, to the tapered boards laid on wood shingle roofs to provide a flat surface for asphalt shingles to be laid on in re-roofing. The term “feathering strips,” meaning the same thing, is found in some roofing manuals. The term “horsefeathers” is used colloquially in New England and New York. Its use other than in the slang sense is disappearing and it is only the old-timers who now understand it.
Others have confirmed that this term was indeed at one time in use in the trade, though it is long defunct. One possibility is that it was picked up around 1927 by Billy De Beck or some other writer, who appreciated its comic potential but changed its sense when reproducing it. But my suspicion — based on the early known evidence — is that carpenters around the late 1920s or thereabouts took a word already in existence and applied it to the tapered boards because of the coincidence with the word feathering.
It seems most likely that it began either as a bowdlerised variant of horse**** or as an expression of the view that something is highly unlikely, about as probable as that pigs might fly ... or that horses might have feathers.

Long story short, it is impossible to tell, but there is a good chance that you need a new roof, and it ain't gonna be cheap. They need to tear everything off down to the spaced sheathing, Fix the spaced sheathing where rotted, then sheathe over the entire roof with CD Exposure 1 plywood, or OSB rated sheathing, then install a new asphalt shingle roof. DO not use less than 1/2 inch sheathing.

Looks like a whole house inspector strikes again!

Last edited by jagans; 04-08-2013 at 10:38 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #10

Roof edge

Roof edge-image-2508880719.jpg

Since I have no ladder, I cannot get closer. Not sure if you can see, but the eaves is sagging outward away from the house.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #11

Roof edge

Roof edge-image-1868472293.jpg

This is looking across toward where the leak was. The leak was right where the light shines through
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #12

Roof edge

Roof edge-image-365849763.jpg

This shows the roof.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #13

Roof edge

A few things:

1.). The roof is regular asphalt shingles. Not sure how else to describe it.

2.). I know about no insulation. I will be fixing that.

3.). I am also going to add an attic floor.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Roof edge

Odds are the valley on that dormer is leaking. Either way, like everyone else has said, your best fix based on what we see is a new and properly applied roof. All possible structural issues can also be resolved at that time. Just make sure whoever does your roof addresses all your issues and doesn't just sell you a new roof on the cheap.

Advertisement

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote