Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

roof drip edge

I just had a new roof installed. When the roofer nailed the shingle at the drip edge on the rake end, he missed driving the nail into plywood and drove it into the overhang of the drip edge. After he pulled the nail, you could see the hole in the drip edge from the ground. Is this going to be a problem for me? He also tracked tar over many areas of the roof. It is a light colored shingle and really show from the ground. He also heavily tarred the furnace vent pipe where is passes thru the roof. This tar has sagged from the sun and has exposed the edge of the vent pipe...any problems? In general, the roofer did a poor job (at least) cosmeticaly and it might hurt my selling the house in a year or two. Edge of shinges look like the shingle was torn instead of being trimmed at the drip edge(in a few areas). Nails are exposed in areas, a few gaps in the area of where the shingle butts up against the other shingle. What should I do??? If I can figure out how to add pictures, I will. Very sick over this job. I have not heard from him in about 9 days. It is getting colder in New York and there is painting he has to do to remedy where he got tar on the house and then smeared it by trying to wipe it off using WD-40. There are other areas to paint when the roof is completed. Downspouts have to be re-hung, ridge caps to be replaced, etc. HELP.

billygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #2

roof drip edge

Please understand that I mean it when I say that I fully understand your frustration, but with all due respect, what kind of help are you seeking? No, there should not be nail holes in the drip edge, no, there should not be tar all over your roof, and no, there should be no exposed nails, except for two in the last cap, which would then be sealed with a dab of roofing cement or silicone caulk. It sounds like a case of the lowest bidder winning, in which case, buyer beware. Personally speaking, under these circumstances, there is no way that I would let him near my house again, even if he did show up to paint. I can only assume that no permit was issued for this project, in which case you probably have little to stand on as far as support for your local jurisdiction. I would however contact your local contact, plead ignorance, and let them know that you did hire this guy, as it may provide a deterent from him scalping your neighbors at some point. Have you paid him for this job? Legal action may be an option, but you would have to talk with an attorney, to see if it makes financial sense to chase it. I sincerely hope that someone has a better solution, but the best that I can offer at this point is to chalk this up as a lesson, albeit a considerably costly one, and hire a roofing contractor to inspect it, and provide an estimate for corrective actions. Always, always, always get three bids, and always ask for proof of insurance before any work is performed. A lot of times, this alone will weed out the scalpers. You're probably just lucky that he didn't get hurt on the job. Good luck.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #3

roof drip edge

DexterII,
He filed a permit and the inspector was out once he had the ice shield and felt down. His insurance was approved by the building inspector. The inspector came back after he was informed by the contractor that he was finsihed. I told the inspector that here were a few issues to be addressed yet, I am to call him back when I am satisfied.
I agree with you about not letting him on the roof again to repair. I guess I was trying to get opinions from others that are experienced in roofing as to whether my roof was in jeapordy of leaking.
I was trying to prioritize the issues as to what was cosmetic and what was structurual.
It wasn't a matter of choosing the low bidder. Two bids...$150.00 apart. It was a matter of choosing an aquaintance that we thought we could trust.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

roof drip edge

I am holding back $1,500 and a new air compressor he left behind(maybe $300 ??) It is a new Craftsman 5 hp 22 gal 130psi max oil free model.
I would rather have had my roof done correctly
Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #5

roof drip edge

So here are my two cents worth of opinions:

The Drip Edge: a nail hole in the drip edge is very unlikely to result in water infiltration.

The exposed edge of the vent stack: I am assuming this is one of the bottom corners? If so, this will not be a problem. The vent stack flashing is intended to overlap the shingles below it.

Nails exposed: If there are nails exposed throughout the field of the roof, this will be a problem. Eventually, the nail will take in moisture.

As for what to do next, you have stated that you are holding back $1,500. The 1st thing you should do is make a detailed list of all of the items that you believe need to be completed and/or resolved. Type the list and send it via Certified Mail to the roofing contractor. In the letter ttell him that if the work is not completed within3 days you will be hiring another contractor and withholding the $1500 (and may take fuurther legal action if necessary).

Then call a reputable roofing contractor, get a quote to complete all of the flaws. If the original roofer does not return, hire a new roofer to make the job right.

Mentioning that you live in NY, you should not have "Tar" as a flashing detail on your roof. these flashings should be aluminum. Expansion and contraction will deteriorate the roof cement and will not be a permanent water tight flashing detail.

Do you have a written proposal? Does it have a scope of work? (these are items that you should be able to reference for you dissatisfaction).

In conclusion, this is not the end of the world. You will be able to hire a roofing contractor to fix the flaws. The $1500 should cover a significant portion of these costs. None of the items you listed are "big ticket" items as they relate to $ or overall roof function. All of these deficiencies can be resolved - just learn for next time. Get everything in writing, check references, and make sure you are comfortable with the contractor before moving forward.

Best Wishes, KP
RoofDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoofDiagnostics For This Useful Post:
billygale (10-23-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Jack of all trades

roof drip edge

Wanted to add to the above member.
As for the inspector, inspectors have no obligation to fail an inspection for cosmetic items. They only inspect for the purpose of the structural and code requirements. Nothing cosmetic. That is what is the standard in CA and WI anyway, do not know about NY. I would assume it is the same there though.

Yes, nails showing and the use of ANY tar product unless it is applied under asphalt shingles (in areas like valleys or the perimeter of say a chimney), does seem to be a piss poor job. As for the cosmetic components, look into the contract, does it have any component such as a satisfactory completion claim? If so, you can hold back legally, if not the roofer could claim in a court that cosmetics does not have anything to do with the soundness of the application. Of course not many companies like to go to court attempting to get money for poor workmanship. Depending on state laws, the usual way contractors attempt to get their money is through workers liens.

The above member has a good suggestion as far as it goes for the steps you should take. Certified mail to prove your attempt to address the issues. As for the discolored shingles, if the roofer does not want to replace the shingles, I would definitely hold back money for that also.

Good luck.
Superintendent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superintendent For This Useful Post:
billygale (10-23-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Residential Roofer

roof drip edge

You might want to consult some one about the legalities of holding the roofers property, it would be illegal to do so in Ohio.

Document everything you do in writing and with photos.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-24-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #8

roof drip edge

Slyfox,
I haven't withheld his property. He cleaned up his equipment and left his compressor here. He hasn't responded to any of my emails or phone calls. It isn't as if I said "I have your compressor and you can't have it back".
One recourse that I do have is to go to his pastor or elders and let them decide the matter.

I am just wanting my roof installed correctly. He wasn't low bidder. He has insurance. I was wondering if his insurance (or mine) would offer me protection from a questionable job. The leaks did cause staining to my catheral ceiling but we won't let him paint because of his level of workmanship so far.

Thanks, Bill
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
MJW

roof drip edge

If everything you say is true, then you simply got hosed (happens every day). Take responsibility and hire another Contractor. The previous Contractor may owe you something, but no one here can decide that.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
billygale (10-24-2010)
Old 10-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

roof drip edge

Billy, it sounds like you are in better shape that I first assumed, so I am glad for you in that regard. I did not mean to pry, but you began with a hole in the drip edge, which, as noted, is not likely to be a problem, and things seemed to deteriorate quickly from there, so it sounded a lot like situations that I am asked about, wherein someone has gotten too deep before they recognize a problem. Anyway, based on the additional information that you provided, I believe that you have gotten some very worth while advice, so I am not going to add anything, other than to wish you well in resoving this unfortunate matter.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
billygale (10-24-2010)

Tags
drip edge, roof, roofing., shingles