Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

roof deicing cables help!

Last winter we got a ton of snow in my area. we got a good 4-5feet of snow. my roof has always had ice back ups but nothing major.

this past winter the ice got to high up past the ice and water shield(the shingles are now 7years old) and i had a roof leak. i tore down the drywall and the framing because it was horrible and added in a flush beam. i put R-12 batts in the one way and R-20 in running parallel with the ceiling joists, put up 6mm vapour barrier and i also put ridge vents in to help with air flow.

the problem is my roof doesnt have a large pitch roof and i couldnt get the R-32(i know it should really have R-50) along the front of the walls. To combat with the ice daming i installed roof deicing cables and ran them around the entire roof. Now winter is back and we got our first real dump of snow(close to 12") and it went below 0F around -20c.

So i plugged my cables in. its been 2 days and all along my roof i got 2' icicles. Does this seem right? isnt suppose to keep ice from forming? one thing i didnt do was put one of those temp sensors to turn the cables off or on depending on the temps.

so what should i do??? keep the roof cables going and making ice or something else? i dont feel like fixing my ceiling again.

Last edited by oh'mike; 11-27-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added spaces
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #2

Check your soffit venting to make sure there is enough airflow. This will help reduce your issues.

The ice cables melt the snow, but as soon as the water hits the drip edge it is no longer being heated and freezes, hence your icicles. If you have poor soffit venting this will also contribute to the icicles.

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

You've solved the problem of internal structural water damage which is most important. The icicle concern is excess weight or the danger of falling causing injury and that can be taken care of with a chain saw. Just knocking them off can cause eaves structural damage.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Are the icicles behind your trough or hanging off the front? if they are behind, properly flashing your trough should stop them. Your drip edge should be right into your trough, and if its short, pieces of metal should be used to extend it all the way down.
Did you run the deice cable along the inside of your trough to melt the ice that accumulates there, as well?
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

sorry guys i failed to mention that i dont have any eaves on my house. i have no basement and dont have any care or concern if the water falls close to my house it aint going to flood. the wall with my front door is a gable end so no icicles. the only ice that would fall on someone is a peeping tom
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

Well, the snow you melt is running off the roof and forming ice when it hits the cold air. Do you have gutters? if so, put a ice melt cable in the bottom and run it down the downspout.

danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-27-2013)