Roof Deck - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

roof deck

I origially planned on using 1x4 furring strips to support a metal roof,(weight concerns), but my wife is worried about noise from rain and dents from hail, so I' ve agreed to go with a full deck. Is 5/8" OSB suitable? I know plywood is stonger but stength is not an issue. Please send some input. I even thoght about 1/2" OSB. I"m doing every thing alone.

Advertisement

Robert King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #2

roof deck

Make sure your home will support the extra weight of the plywood and 1/2 will work, but may sag between joists if they are 24" on center. Just to be clear, you are removing the existing roof system correct? Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Advertisement

highcountrywnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highcountrywnc For This Useful Post:
Robert King (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Arrow

roof deck

This is a new addition,(new roof), it is 9-12" higher than the existing roof and the ridgeboard is offset 3' from the existing one. The only thing I'm tearing off is the gable overhang from the existing roof. The rafters are set 16" O/C. My question is would OSB be suitable for the decking.
RMK.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #4

roof deck

Yes, osb(1/2" or 3/4") is an approved roofing substrate(decking), remember to install rough side up. We use plywood/osb clips on the joints between the rafters to keep sagging to a minimum.
highcountrywnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highcountrywnc For This Useful Post:
Robert King (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #5

roof deck

Thanks alot. Iveseen OSB deck before-just never did it. I should be decking it tommorrow. Already have clips from another job which is why I wanted to use 1/2". RMK.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

roof deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert King View Post
I origially planned on using 1x4 furring strips to support a metal roof,(weight concerns), but my wife is worried about noise from rain and dents from hail, so I' ve agreed to go with a full deck. Is 5/8" OSB suitable? I know plywood is stonger but stength is not an issue. Please send some input. I even thoght about 1/2" OSB. I"m doing every thing alone.
The type sheathing will have little, if any effect on either of these items. The noise factor will depend more on how much insulation you have in the attic and the hail dent result will be a function of the thickness of the metal vs the size of the hail. All that being said, I prefer solid sheathing over furring. Don't forget the underlayment with solid sheathing.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Robert King (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #7

roof deck

Thankyou for the reply. I'll see if I can get the wife to read this because what you say is exactly what I told her!

Advertisement