Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |

Roof Damage

Hello,

I aplolgize in advance for not thoroughly searching the entire forum, before posting, but am in a real pinch to repair my roof by the end of tomorrow, Wednesday.

Iam selling the house and discovered with horror that there is a roof damage from the last storm where a bush banged against the edge:

Can you please, give me as detailed instructions as possible how to properly fix it? I do not intend to replace the roof, but would like to do a good job.

I do not have any roofing experience, but am really handy, which I believe will help.

Thanks in advance.

Best
Alienspecimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

Roof Damage

The damage looks like it has been there longer then one storm, but to repair this you will need to remove the shingles in the area. Me I'd remove about a 19''x19' area. Replace any bad framing members, replace the plywood. Add new underlayment.

The problem is, the shingles look really old, scabbing in a repair like this will take a lot of time and effort to fix. The existing shingles may or may not allow you to do it this way.

If you were to call our company and all I had to go on was this picture I would tell you that your roof would need to be replaced. It really does look like is at the end or near the end of its serviceable life.

Repairing dry brittle shingles is not an easy job. If they are pliable enough to remove matching them would be hard.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
fetzer85 (03-14-2013), joecaption (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
bbo

Roof Damage

+1 on replacing.

who knows how far water has wicked into the sheathing and how much of that needs to be replaced.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Roof Damage

Are you getting this ready to sell or has someone already bought it as is?
There's far more going on then just replacing a few shingles. That roofs been leaking for a while.
Even the sheathings all rotted away.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

Roof Damage

Thank you for your replies.

I am selling the house.

I just went up the attic to check for damage. All I can see are some wet marks that don't go all the way down.

I am hoping to be able to repair, because the water never got to the ceiling of the bedroom underneath.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Roof Damage

Good luck trying to sell a house with a roof in that condition.
And I'm not talking about that damage area.
First thing there going to do is deduct the cost of a new roof from the asking price or make you fix it before buying.
It will turn off a lot of possible customers.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Roof Damage

Is there a soffit on that side of the house? That is most likely where the water is/was, so probably so soffit replacement, or it's in the walls.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #8

Roof Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
Is there a soffit on that side of the house? That is most likely where the water is/was, so probably so soffit replacement, or it's in the walls.
Thank you for your reply. No, there isn't soffit on that side.

The wall has been wet, but not all the way down, probably about a foot on the lower side and a little more on the higher side.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Roof Damage

You have got to be kidding us right? That roof was gone about 20 years ago. As soon as you touch those shingles they are going to crumble in your hands. The roof and underlayment has to be completely removed, and you should wear a good mask, because there may be AB present in the mat of these shingles.

Not to contradict you, but "Handy" is usually accompanied by significant experience, and you have very little building trades experience if you think you can patch this roof. Every shingle will break off as you try to get under it to effect a repair.

Don't go on that roof without a long 2 x 4 tied to your axe.

Last edited by jagans; 03-12-2013 at 02:38 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Roof Damage

That is not "storm damage". That is damage caused by years and years of that tree rubbing against the roof.
As far as repairing it's not going to be easy if possible at all. To properly repair it you need to lift the old shingles and remove the nails and tie the new shingles into it. Those existing shingles are bone dry and brittle as hell. As soon as you touch any of them they are going to just crumble to dust.
Your only proper recourse is to replace that whole roofdeck. It sounds to me like you will just go up there with some odd shingles or rolled roofing and stick it in there and smear a bunch of mastic around the perimeter and call it a day. This may last a short time at best.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #11

Roof Damage

to late now, but why didn't you trim those branches back BEFORE that problem happened ?

i had branches hitting my new to me house. i trimmed that chit ASAP !
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #12

Roof Damage

Remove entire roof and repair any damaged wood and reroof. That's what is needed. OH! Replace the gutter also.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Exterior Construction

Roof Damage

Sorry to echo what the other guys have said. That has been going on for some time.

A proper repair is not going to be as surgical as you are thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #14

Roof Damage

Needs a re-roof and the guttering looks like itís about to collapse to, looks like lack of maintenance
bright-roof is offline   Reply With Quote