Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 AM   #1

Share |

Roof Coating a torch down roof.

What is the best product to use as a coating on an old but not leaking torch down roof? Is a primer recommended? I had a out building with a torchdown roof coated with a sno-coat product and the snocoat seems to be losing its bond. Would a petroleum or polyurethane based product be best over a torchdown? N. Zeller

N. Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N. Zeller For This Useful Post:
Vikidin (08-20-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

I like elastomeric products.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Are you coating for UV or are you coating to extend the life of the roof? This may answer some of your questions about the processes and products available... Roof Coating

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
Vikidin (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

We have 56 attached units where the torch down is between units.

12 are 2 years old, the balance are over 10 yrears old. How opften should they be resealed.
Vikidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Like Grumpy asked,is it for uv protection or something to seal?Two different animals
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #6

As you can tell, Roofing is not my area of expertise

I have just taken over the duties of Chairman of our Buildings and Roads Committee at our Condominium Association. On this years budget there was provision for sealing torch down.

No one here seems to know specifically why.

How do I tell if the areas need it and what is the difference between UV protection sealer and, leak proof sealer?
Vikidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikidin View Post
As you can tell, Roofing is not my area of expertise

I have just taken over the duties of Chairman of our Buildings and Roads Committee at our Condominium Association. On this years budget there was provision for sealing torch down.

No one here seems to know specifically why.

How do I tell if the areas need it and what is the difference between UV protection sealer and, leak proof sealer?

If the sections of roof are not leaking or showing severe wear & tear than you could simply use something like a non-fibered aluminum coating.
It's pretty much just a paint job that will keep the roof out of the direct hit of the sun, which will help to increase the life span of the roof or at least help to get the expected life span from the roof.

If there are already leaks or severe wear & tear signs present then you would want to use some thing like Fibered-Aluminum coating.
This material is brushed on just like the non-fibered but it will seep into the material and bond with it.

Before doing either method you need to inspect the roofs and determine which to use, then there is prep work needed before it's applied such as a cleaning of the surface, etc.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I've never had good results with the fibered stopping any kind of leak. Yes the fibered aluminum coating is a better product than no fibered, but if you want to stop leaks you will need to do the prep work. If you choose to use an aluminum roof coating similiar to the junk on the shelves at home depot, expect to be painting every 3-5 years... just like any exterior paint job.

That's why I prefer elastomerics when it comes to leakage. Yes prep work is a must, but I have had good results with various professional grade elastomerics, not the junk on the shelf at home depot which is nothing more than house paint. The type of elastomeric to be used would depend on the pitch of the roof. If there is no standing water, an acrylic would be most cost effective. If there are ponds or standing water of any kind, then you should opt for a solvent based or urethane.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

have you looked into Inland Coatings RC2000

JAG EXTERIORS is offline   Reply With Quote