Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Taking stuff apart is fun

Rewards Points: 25

Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question

Question about my roof cap shingles. On the south side of my detached garage the cap shingles are shot. No grit left and curling up. On the rest of the garage and the house there is noticeable wear on the cap shingles (like it's time to replace soon).

Is it practical to replace just the ridge shingles? No ridge vents just regular ones on both the house and garage. The roof on the south side of the house looks great (one cracked architectural shingle but otherwise like new). The North side of the roof is mostly shaded and is very stained and has lichens and a small amount of moss growing on it.

That brings me to my second question: Does moss / lichen pose a threat to the roof or is it just aesthetics? If it's a threat, any way to tell how much damage has been done? I don't know how old the roof is as it isn't in the paperwork from when I bought the house. I'll ask the neighbor when I see him .

If the north side of the house's roof is going to need to be replaced within a year or so, I will just buy a package of closely matching ridge cap and fix the BAD area on the garage. Then re-roof everything in a year or so. Is there any way to get a good estimate on how much life is left in the roof? If Pics would help, I will post them tomorrow. Thanks!

EDIT: I did search around but everyone just talks of removal / prevention methods for lichens / moss. Nobody seems to talk about what damage they may / may not do. If just cleaning them off is advisable, anyone know where to get zinc strips that I can put across the roof to prevent it from recurring (if it is an issue).

Advertisement

Last edited by butchbs1985; 09-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.
butchbs1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Taking stuff apart is fun

Rewards Points: 25

Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question

Here's some pics to elaborate:
1. Garage
2. North Roof Lichens / Crack
3. North Roof
4. Worst cap on house

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question-garage-800x533-.jpg   Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question-img_0171-800x533-.jpg   Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question-img_0177-800x533-.jpg   Roof Cap / Staining - Lichen Question-img_0186-800x533-.jpg  

Advertisement

butchbs1985 is offline   Reply With Quote