Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

Is a roof cap necessary or aesthetic?

We are in a semi-detached home & have just replaced our roof. Our attached neighbor did not. Where our shingles meet the neighbors, should we not have a 'cap' or something where the two different types & color shingles meet?
On houses down the street where two different roofs come together, there is a line of shingles that cap the border. Is this just aesthetic or is it functional?

ladylimpopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Functional.... each half of the cap is sealed to the other shingles

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the response - it's very hard to find info on this issue... when I brought your point up to the roofer, he replied with the following, and I am worried that he is just trying to save money on extra capping shingles. They say they overlapped our shingles with the attached neighbor's, though of a different shape and kind. Here's their response to me saying the cap is functional and that every like roof on the street has a cap:
"Caps are required for install that have a shingle layer difference. Not installing caps works better because there are no exposed nails on the slope downward which can cause a leak. Creating a straight line with the Landmark 30 and using plastic cement gives a 100 % seal, which is the best option in your case. We install the correct procedure required for the job, therefore we have certainty that warranty work will not be necessary. The reason why other companies use caps is because its less labour intensive than installing a straight cut. "
Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #4

sounds like he has a good mouthpiece....
JGibbsRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

After much conversation with the guys, they convinced me that this way has more longevity, and gave a full warranty on the workmanship.
Thanks to all who replied to this post - you were helpful!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

I'd want a cap. Its proven and been in use for decades.

This plastic cement talk, I can just imagine being a problem...it drying out, cracking, etc.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Hmmmm, IMO--it sounds as if you're roofer sells used cars and does roofing part-time. I am not a professional roofer. I do some roof repairs on single-story homes and have worked with reputable roofers. I would want the cap, I, personally, do not like "plastic cement" or "roofing tar" myself. I was taught that if you laid the shingles correctly, the water will run off correctly. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #8

I suggest calling the shingle manufacturer of the product that was installed on your roof. Ask them if that is an acceptable method. I am sure they will tell you that it isnt. Then call your roofer back and ask him how he can warranty a job that the manufacturer wont stand behind because of an improper installation.

In the shocking circumstance that they say that way is acceptable and their will be no problems, I retire.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #9

The owner of the company worked for a reputable roofing company for many years before going out on his own and argues his case, though it is maverick in method. My partner is a lawyer and drew up a 'personal liability' agreement, which reluctantly, he signed. If anything happens within ten years, he personally is responsible even if his company goes under. I will forward him your comments out of curiosity as to his response. His references have proven legit and his word thus far credible to other homeowners over the last few years.

As an aside - when you nail in roof cap shingles, do you caulk over the nails? Are they left exposed? How many nails per shingle?

Quite an education for me, this is and thank all of you for your shared wisdom.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #10

The only nails that are exposed are the final four for the last piece of cap. Depending on how windy of an area you live in, you could use two nails or four per cap. 95% of the time it is only two nails.

Maybe I am misunderstanding how he finished the roof. Did he fold over the top of the shingle and nail it down? From what I understand, it just doesnt seem right and I have NEVER seen it done like that. There is a reason they make shingles specifically for the ridge and hip.

If he "reluctantly" signed the agreement, arent you a little concerned about this practice then? If he was so confident in it, he would not have a problem.

I know of many roofers who have worked for reputable companies in the past but it doesnt mean they were part of the good reputation.

Is there anyway you could take a picture? I may be completly wrong.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #11

He overlapped the shingles with the neighbors shingles. My partner has absconded with the camera but I will take some pics when I get it back and attempt to attach it.

When I say he 'reluctantly' signed the agreement, it wasn't so much about his workmanship, it was more about having a thing drafted by a lawyer and also signing his personal name to it. My partner said "no-body should really sign something that holds them personally accountable for a company thing" but he went through it and was adamant about his workmanship, though it's an unorthodox manner of doing things. I had mentioned to him before that I hold no faith in chemical products as opposed to something physical or mechanical in it's place.

Your suggestion about calling the manufacturer was extremely astute advice, but I will do it when I have photos to illustrate. Will post them when I have them too, and thanks again for responding.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #12

i wouldnt sign a ten yr liability agreement. you must have a lot of his money
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #13

He has a lot of OUR money! That's why I want to know the workmanship is good!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #14

Thats why I suggest calling the manufacturer. Guess how long a manufacturer will stand behind their product if it is improperly installed? The answer is they wont. It does not matter to them they rated the shingles for 30 years if its not installed right, meaning proper nail placement, proper ventilation among a few other things. The manufacturer of the product is the one who can ultimately tell you if his method is acceptable. He seems like a good guy, I just dont suggest doing it. If you dont mind, I would like to ask this question on a different forum that reputable roofers from all over the country post on and get their opinions on the matter. I might just be too set in my ways.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #15

Absolutely will do as you suggest when I get a camera back so as to include pics. You've made a smart point. The roofer did say he'd show me the manufacturer manual to back up his claim, but in the rush for the holidays I never did look at it.