Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

Roof anchor for guy line

We are out in the middle of the sticks in NW WI and the Vikings overrule the Packers whenever the play at the same time on our satellite locals. We can't have that so I'm putting up an antenna. I have it on 1" galvanized schedule 40 pipe that is sitting directly on a 10' 8x8 landscape timber with a flange. It is braced at 4' to the 8x8 post the deck sits on, 8' at the vertical 2x10' member of the deck, and roughly 15' to the end of a truss. It is currently 20' tall and stable but I want to go to 30' with with it, which will require guy lines. I already have a second flange that I drilled out, slid over the pipe and welded in place to act as a guy collar at what will be 25-ish feet.

The problem is I have perfect guy points 120 degrees apart to a 2.5' diameter oak and another 8x8 post for the deck, but no other points in the opposite direction. is there any solution to put an anchor point on the roof, or am I pretty much out of luck with going to 30'? All of the fall protection anchors I've seen say specifically not to use them for guy lines.

rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
43 years in construction

Rewards Points: 0

Roof anchor for guy line

Anchors for guy brackets should never penetrate the surface of the roof (AKA every rooftop dish antenna in existence). For my ham radio antennas I have bracketed from the vertical surface of the fascia with a flat plate welded to a short vertical pipe section to provide a guy point above the roof but not on the roof.

As a word of caution, guying to a tree can be disastrous. Trees sway in the wind and pull VERY hard on guy wires. Be sure to anchor as low as you can. For ham antennas I have run my guy wire through a pulley attached to the tree and then down to a 20 or 30 pound weight. If the tree sways, the tension/slack is taken up by the cable running through the pulley. The weight is only 12" or so from the pulley, so after 12" of give, the weight jams to the pulley and limits the amount of give.

Rick

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Roof anchor for guy line

Thanks for the heads up. The anchor on the tree not even a foot off the ground, but I like the weight and pulley idea. I have signal from the station I want, but it is snowy. I think the next step is a pre-amp to see if I can't clear it up a bit before trying to go any higher
rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Roof anchor for guy line

Have the guys chip an and buy a bottle of Helium and a weather Balloon and really get it up there on game day!

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote