DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   rolled roofing product (

charliebrown314 03-11-2009 11:12 PM

rolled roofing product
Hi, there. I am replacing a very low-pitch roof on a building. I have called a couple of building suppliers and been advised to go with rolled roofing. They both suggested the same product (a rolled roofing material made by a company called Tarco). Where I got confused is that one said it was a 3'x36' roll covering about 108 square feet, and the other said it was the same size roll (3' x 36") covering only about 54 square feet. I understood from the second supplier that the reason was the selvage (?), basically meaning that you have to lap one 3-foot-wide strip over the next 3-foot-wide strip by 18", meaning that you are doubled up, and lessening the possible coverage of each roll.

Now, I am more inclined to believe the advice of the latter supplier, since they are local and were generally more informative, but I also don't want to buy double the product if I don't need to. I have looked at some rolled roofing tutorial online that said you only need to lap the strips by 3-6", not a full 18".

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Ed the Roofer 03-12-2009 12:30 AM

Real rolled roofing is cr*p.

Buy some Liberty Peal and Stick, self adhesive membrane.

Learn from the manufacturers instructions and specifications.

Check out an ABC Supply or Bradco or Allied Building Materials if one is near you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1