Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

Roll roofing material

The flat roof over my carport currently has a black rubberized roof. (maybe torch down?) Can I install rolled roofing over this material?

Is so whats the best way to install. The directions say to nail along the 4" overlap so all nail holes are covered by the next row. But it dosnt really specify if the whole area the roll roofing covers needs tar. Also says to use flashing cement. So I bought a 5 gall bucket to start with.

Any help would be appreciated.

RedDawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #2

Roll roofing material

why would anyone install roll roofing period?

RooferJim

RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Roll roofing material

I wouldnt waste the money on 90#. Why save money now just to pay again in a year or two?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #4

Roll roofing material

You will cause more problems on the flat roof than if you just left it alone and as is.

90 # roll roofing is best used for a cheap roof job on a substantially pitched roof, not as a flat roof application, unless it is being hot mopped in hot asphalt as a cap sheet for the preceeding plies of built up roofing felts.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #5

Roll roofing material

Ok, Whats your suggestions then. Ive only run one row, that can easily be removed. (well has to be removed now, due to material bubbling)
Thats all i usually see on flat roofs here in Florida, thats why i was going to install it.

My friend was telling me about a mesh material you lay down, and coat with some type of white sealant. Ive seen this type of material on commercial buildings flat roofs.
RedDawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #6

Roll roofing material

find out exactly whats on there now,if it is torch-on compatible,hire a roofer to put on a granulated cap sheet
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Roll roofing material

the white "sealant and mesh" stuff is garbage. It washes of after a matter of time if ANY water sets on it. Seams can retain a little water, depending in the pitch. Reflectivity is all theyre good for, IMO.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Roll roofing material

Yea, the roll roofing you describe is garbage and bad for low slope roofs.
Unfortunately you just made the problem wors by putting nails through what you already have. Sorry.

Torch down is also 'roll roofing' as it comes in rolls. Like another said, if your base is solidly attached, and compatible with a torch down, granule impregnated top sheet, then that is a very good way to go. EDPM is another good low slope solution and is more DIY friendly. You wont find a torch down top sheet or EDPM at your home center, most likely.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Roll roofing material

ALL roofing membranes are then roll roofing, except polyurea.