Risk Of REPLACING A Ridge Vent? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Risk of REPLACING a ridge vent?

Hi,

I am in a mess with a re-roof where the roofer did not use an adequate ridge vent. What are the risks involved with having the roofer correct the problem by extending or replacing the vent? It is already the hot season in Florida so just the extra walking around the ridge on the shingles is bad enough, but I assume if the work is done early in the 7am-9am range before the roof starts heating up it might be okay. Still, the thought of having them tear off the old vent without causing damage or future leaks is quite scary. The decking is OSB, which has me concerned whether or not they will be able to even pull the multitude of cap and vent nails without potentially shredding the edges of the decking, not to mention then having to re-nail along those same edges (a total of THREE vent installs on that same ridge line).

The roof originally had aluminum vent, the roofer just replaced it with shingle-over plastic type of venting which has 40% less ventilation ability (non-wind). Attic is much hotter now and not ventilating well so I need this resolved somehow - but at this point have lost faith in pretty much any contractor here in Florida to do a job correctly. EVERYTHING I get done inveitibly turns into a nightmare of incompetence that should have never happened in the first place.

Any insight or warnings on the risks of this ridge vent dillema from roofing pro's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sonic

Advertisement

Last edited by SonicExplorer; 05-29-2013 at 03:17 AM.
SonicExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,304

Shouldn't be an issue of any concern.

Have them start early in the day and as long as the cut is already there, it is a straightforward and fast fix.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I agree with Eric. Roofing is sequential, steep roofing is sequential from eaves to ridge, so the ridge cap is the last thing to go on. should be no problem. I recommend that you take the ridge vent all the way to the end of the gable even though you don't slot the decking at the ridge all the way. It looks much better IMHO.

I hate OSB too, but it is used a lot nowadays, due to cost. I do not like cutting the stuff, and I don't like how it crumbles when you extract a nail from it. This may sound whacked out, but one thing you can do is use plated bugle head screws with fender washers for about the first 6 ridge caps from the gable ends if you are concerned about wind. This gives you good blow off resistance where the wind tends to peel the ridge. You can set the caps in flashing cement as well as fastening also.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
This may sound whacked out, but one thing you can do is use plated bugle head screws with fender washers for about the first 6 ridge caps from the gable ends if you are concerned about wind. This gives you good blow off resistance where the wind tends to peel the ridge. You can set the caps in flashing cement as well as fastening also.
I am going to try that out on one of the next ones.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

A roofer locally made a suggestion that they've seen done before and I wanted to get some opinions from the forum....

Rather than covering the holes with cement or replacing the last shingle line, how about putting starter shingles right over the existing shingle line at the ridge to cover the holes from the previous vent & caps?

Or, what about just extending the vent by cutting right through the cap shingles? Cosmetically it may not look quite as nice as a normal install, but at least this way the existing vent and extension would be structurally sound since there'd be no concern over a bunch of open nail holes or having to tear up any part of the existing vent.

Last edited by SonicExplorer; 05-31-2013 at 07:16 PM.
SonicExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote