Ridgevent Solution For A Wide Ridge Beam - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ridgevent solution for a wide ridge beam

I have a two story in CA that has a ridge vent installed but needs a larger slot cut to accommodate a ridge beam consisting of two 2x8s. (The improper installation is a whole different story!) The current slot is blocked by the wide ridge beam so I have no exhaust ventilation through the rideg, so I'm considering the option of increasing the slot (to 4.5" I'm guessing) and installing a ridge vent that will span the new wider slot.

My first choice is Shingle Vent II in the 9" or 12" width, but the manufacture' warranty will only allow for a 3" slot (although a 4-4.5" slot has been used but voided the warranty against leaks). I've learned also that Cor a Vent (V-600) allows their ridge vents to be cut in half and installed over wider slots for just my situation. Has anyone had any experience with using Shingle Vent II over a wide ridge beam or the Cor a Vent split in this situation? I don't want water leakage but wonder if the Shingle Vent II's baffle makes the wider slot a moot point.

Or is my only option to forgo the ridge vent all together and install static vents? I really don't want electrical fans in the attic or like low cfm solar fans as options as fixes.

Thanks in advance,
David

Advertisement

daveskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

See page 3 of this specification report.

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/BNBC/97-22.pdf

For Ridge Board applications using the Shingle Vent II, you should cut the slot width 3/4" wider on each aside of the Ridge Board for proper exhaust ventilation flowage.

I know it says it in their installation instructions directly fromAir Vent Corp., at, www.AirVent.com but I was unable to quickly locate it for you.

Also, the Smart Vent, from DCI Products, http://www.dciproducts.com/html/offpeak.htm is the product I have personal experience using as an option as an exhaust vent at the upper end of the sloped roof when a Ridge Vent would not be appropriate.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #3

Thanks for referencing the Legacy report. I've seen this one but is still doesn't tell me the maximum anyone in the real world has cut a slot and not experienced any complications like water leaks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has cut a slot wider than the standard 3 inches for a double ridge beam using either Shingle Vent II or a Cor a Vent product. Or if anyone else has a solution to my ridge vent issue.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

That was some pretty great advice you just shunned. The install docs say cut 3/4" past ridge beams. It doesn't say 2x8, LVL, 2 2x8, etc. So you can either:
A. Assume you are installing it in 'strict accordance with instructions' and hope it performs as intended / is warrantable.
B. Trust someone here who has done it, and hope it performs and is warrantable.
C. Get it from the horse's mouth at 1-800-AIR-VENT
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskee View Post
Thanks for referencing the Legacy report. I've seen this one but is still doesn't tell me the maximum anyone in the real world has cut a slot and not experienced any complications like water leaks. I'd like to hear from anyone who has cut a slot wider than the standard 3 inches for a double ridge beam using either Shingle Vent II or a Cor a Vent product. Or if anyone else has a solution to my ridge vent issue.

Thanks!
I guess I was vague in my previous response.

I have on multiple ocassions had to use the afore-mentioned slot width dimensions, referencing the 3/4" beyond the width of the Ridge Beam to correctly install the Shingle Vent II Ridge Vent, with no detrimental factors ever observed or reported to date.

Ed
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #6

What they reference is a three inch total opening, which would be 3/4" on each side of a ridge BOARD. A ridge BEAM would be at least a four and a half inch total opening.

After re-reading the OP it seems there has already been confirmation this can't be warranted. Sorry I missed that originally.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #7

I'm sorry for appearing to not take sound advice from an experienced professional in the field. I, as you can probably tell am a home owner trying to make heads or tails of a less than ideal situation.

I had already spoken to someone at Air Vent and they would only say that anything wider than a 3" slot would void any warranty. Although someone had "heard" of a 4-4.5" slot being used but would not verify any success or failures.

Thanks Ed for letting me know that in your experience, Shingle Vent II will work under my conditions.

My next question would be, would the size of the Shingle Vent II matter? 9" or 12" size over that increased slot width?

David
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
My next question would be, would the size of the Shingle Vent II matter? 9" or 12" size over that increased slot width?

David
I should be apologizing for not reading carefully enough. Nice job calling them though. Hard to believe air vent won't warranty that.

Definitely get the big one, especially if the roof is steep as the more you bend it the more area you lose.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm sorry for appearing to not take sound advice from an experienced professional in the field. I, as you can probably tell am a home owner trying to make heads or tails of a less than ideal situation.

I had already spoken to someone at Air Vent and they would only say that anything wider than a 3" slot would void any warranty. Although someone had "heard" of a 4-4.5" slot being used but would not verify any success or failures.

Thanks Ed for letting me know that in your experience, Shingle Vent II will work under my conditions.

David
Use the Shingle Vent II that is 12" wide. It covers the gap from the slot cut-out as a weather protecting shield more significantly than the thinner versions.

Ed
Old 11-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #10

Thanks guys!

Thats the direction I will go. Let's see if my roofer will cooperate with fixing his prior work the way I'd like.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

David, You may also want to check out Metal-Era's Hi-Perf Ridge Vent. The product is built to the exact needs of the roof to make sure you're getting the correct net free area and that it accommodates any existing conditions. Our tech department (airflow@metalera.com or 800-558-2162) can help you figure out the exact dimensions you'll need. We also have an online calculator you can check out. The ridge vent carries a 20-year, 120 mph warranty and it won't be voided by a larger opening. I hope this helps. Good luck!
MetalEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #12

What kinda pricing does Metal-Era want for their Hi Perf Ridge Vent? Any photos of residential applications?

Anyone else have any experience with this product?

Thanks!
daveskee
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #13

As you might guess, all of our products are made of metal, so pricing will vary depending on the gauge of material you select. It will also depend on the air gap that you actually select (4" vs. 4.5") and any other special needs.

Our products are primarily intended for commercial buildings, and engineered and priced as such, so it likely will be more expensive than an off the shelf residential product. It really depends on what your exact needs are to determine what will be the better choice for you. If standard products don't accommodate your roof conditions and you need something customized and warranted, then it may be worth the additional investment. Then again, if a standard product does the job and gets you the performance you need, you should probably go that route. I'm sorry I'm not able to give you an exact number, but if you call/e-mail our estimating department should be able to give you a ballpark number or an exact quote if you prefer.

I don't have any photos of residential applications available right now, but I've uploaded a photo of a job that we did for Marcy Townhall in NY. You can see what the ridge vent looks like installed (the product is available in a bunch of other standard colors). For a few more pictures, a more detailed discussion of ventilation and some commercial case studies (including Marcy Townhall), see the article I wrote for RCI Interface. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, just let me know!

Angela
Attached Thumbnails
Ridgevent solution for a wide ridge beam-dsc_0006.jpg  

Advertisement

MetalEra is offline   Reply With Quote