Ridge Vents VS Standard Roof Vents - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ridge vents VS standard roof vents

I am getting my roof done and can't decide which one to go with. I like the ridge vent look better, but my roofer has told me that he has repalced alot of ridge vents to do leaks, mostly water blowing in from rain and snow. I live in southeastern Michigan any suggestions.

Advertisement

Last edited by goodcop047; 05-26-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: miss spelled word
goodcop047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ridge vents have their pros and cons, but the decision is up to you what you end up with. I can tell you I just added some turtle/mushroom vents to my roof no problem as I found the ridge vent to be inadequate.

(P.S. you misspelled misspelled. )

DM

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcop047 View Post
I am getting my roof done and can't decide which one to go with. I like the ridge vent look better, but my roofer has told me that he has repalced alot of ridge vents to do leaks, mostly water blowing in from rain and snow. I live in southeastern Michigan any suggestions.
It might be the type that was used that was creating the problem.A RidgeVent without an external baffle is notorious for sponging water.

Since you are in a high winter precipitation area I recommend this product or something similar with external baffles.

RidgeVent over standard vents any day.

http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residenti...w-country.aspx
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote