DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ridge vents and roof vents

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
I have ridge vents and roof vests with the end vents covered. My roofer told me to close the roof vents and keep the end vents closed because I quess they fight each other or I wouldn't get the proper ventilation. I also need some more soffit vents but I haven't figured out how to do it. I am getting a new roof installed so maybe the roofer can had some soffit vents. Am I right on this thinking? Right now I have a vented soffit ever three feet but I quess that is not enough. Anybody have any ideas how to get more inflow of air now that I am getting new singles put on?

#2 ·
Yes, remove and close off the old static air vent holes and replace the plywood in those areas.

Also, have your roofing contractor install Smart Vent, manufactured by DCI Products Inc., along the eave edges of the roof for continuous Intake Ventilation.

Do a Search through the roofing forum here. It has been discussed and recommended strongly.

Ed

#5 ·
A "Cool" attic prevents the natural phenonenom that creates and exasperates Ice Damming.

The more free flowing air intake and exhaust you have, the less amount of "Hot Spots" you will have in your attic.

Ice
Dams occur when the excessive heat build up inside the attic transfers to through the roof and melts tha snow on top, along with the suns radient light. When the sun goes down, there still remains the interir heat continuing to melt the snow, but at the soffit overhang areas, there remains a cooled down spot which quickly takes the melted water coming down and re-freezes it, creating the dam.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.