Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |

Are Ridge Vents good for homes in Ontario, Canada

I was told that because of my steep roof 8-9/12 and the fact that it snows in Ontario, snow can be blown into a Ridge vent and accumulate in the attic and cause water and insulation damage ?
I thought Ridge Vents were good for all seasons: Hot and Cold.
Is there any truth to this ?

qprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

Depends on the ridge vent product used. Look at the Shinglevent 2 (or newer 3 version), they have baffles that keep blowing snow out. Since your roof is steep, it should not be a problem. On a flatter roof up in the great white north, I wouldn't do it. The SVent 2 also has a fiber portion in the middle that will block elements if they get that far.

igneous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous1 View Post
Depends on the ridge vent product used. Look at the Shinglevent 2 (or newer 3 version), they have baffles that keep blowing snow out. Since your roof is steep, it should not be a problem. On a flatter roof up in the great white north, I wouldn't do it. The SVent 2 also has a fiber portion in the middle that will block elements if they get that far.
They also fill up with dust and don't breathe properly. We have used Omni for years with no trouble.
We've replaced many shingleventII's, especially on steeper pitches. It just doesn't fit right. When it's taken off you can easily see that it isn't venting properly because it is full of dirt, bees, bats, etc, etc...
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #4

Found the Omni ridge vents, so just need to find a dealer.

Last edited by igneous1; 06-02-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
MJW

google omni roll. It's made by Lomanco.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Yes, found it. So the 4' sections of this product are better than Shinglevent? Is the little fiber insert they glue underneath the issue? (it does look sorta cheesy and I can see stuff getting stuck in it)
Is the omni product thicker plastic? I'm all about doing this once and not having to mess with it again for many years. I'll prolly use screws to hold it down better.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
MJW

We only use the lo-omni-roll. I can't comment on the others they make. The NFA pere foot is less than the other brands but it has no baffle to clog.

Use cap nails if you are worried about wind.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

What seems to be popular here is the vents that look like a mini house and the turbines. I honestly don't know how they manage to keep snow out, but they do, guess it's all a science of how wind turbulance works with their shape.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprint View Post
I was told that because of my steep roof 8-9/12 and the fact that it snows in Ontario, snow can be blown into a Ridge vent and accumulate in the attic and cause water and insulation damage ?
I thought Ridge Vents were good for all seasons: Hot and Cold.
Is there any truth to this ?

I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.
azl6dpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous1 View Post
Yes, found it. So the 4' sections of this product are better than Shinglevent? Is the little fiber insert they glue underneath the issue? (it does look sorta cheesy and I can see stuff getting stuck in it)
Is the omni product thicker plastic? I'm all about doing this once and not having to mess with it again for many years. I'll prolly use screws to hold it down better.
I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #11

I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. Part No: LOR9-4 I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.