DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Are Ridge Vents good for homes in Ontario, Canada (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/ridge-vents-good-homes-ontario-canada-72252/)

qprint 05-27-2010 10:25 PM

Are Ridge Vents good for homes in Ontario, Canada
 
I was told that because of my steep roof 8-9/12 and the fact that it snows in Ontario, snow can be blown into a Ridge vent and accumulate in the attic and cause water and insulation damage ?
I thought Ridge Vents were good for all seasons: Hot and Cold.
Is there any truth to this ?

igneous1 06-02-2010 11:14 AM

Depends on the ridge vent product used. Look at the Shinglevent 2 (or newer 3 version), they have baffles that keep blowing snow out. Since your roof is steep, it should not be a problem. On a flatter roof up in the great white north, I wouldn't do it. The SVent 2 also has a fiber portion in the middle that will block elements if they get that far.

MJW 06-02-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igneous1 (Post 450142)
Depends on the ridge vent product used. Look at the Shinglevent 2 (or newer 3 version), they have baffles that keep blowing snow out. Since your roof is steep, it should not be a problem. On a flatter roof up in the great white north, I wouldn't do it. The SVent 2 also has a fiber portion in the middle that will block elements if they get that far.

They also fill up with dust and don't breathe properly. We have used Omni for years with no trouble.
We've replaced many shingleventII's, especially on steeper pitches. It just doesn't fit right. When it's taken off you can easily see that it isn't venting properly because it is full of dirt, bees, bats, etc, etc...

igneous1 06-02-2010 03:23 PM

Found the Omni ridge vents, so just need to find a dealer.

MJW 06-02-2010 03:47 PM

google omni roll. It's made by Lomanco.

igneous1 06-02-2010 04:00 PM

Yes, found it. So the 4' sections of this product are better than Shinglevent? Is the little fiber insert they glue underneath the issue? (it does look sorta cheesy and I can see stuff getting stuck in it)
Is the omni product thicker plastic? I'm all about doing this once and not having to mess with it again for many years. I'll prolly use screws to hold it down better.

MJW 06-02-2010 05:46 PM

We only use the lo-omni-roll. I can't comment on the others they make. The NFA pere foot is less than the other brands but it has no baffle to clog.

Use cap nails if you are worried about wind.

Red Squirrel 06-02-2010 07:35 PM

What seems to be popular here is the vents that look like a mini house and the turbines. I honestly don't know how they manage to keep snow out, but they do, guess it's all a science of how wind turbulance works with their shape.

azl6dpx 12-18-2010 05:14 PM

Omni Ridge Vent Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by qprint (Post 447939)
I was told that because of my steep roof 8-9/12 and the fact that it snows in Ontario, snow can be blown into a Ridge vent and accumulate in the attic and cause water and insulation damage ?
I thought Ridge Vents were good for all seasons: Hot and Cold.
Is there any truth to this ?


I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.

azl6dpx 12-18-2010 05:17 PM

Omni Rigde Vent Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by igneous1 (Post 450267)
Yes, found it. So the 4' sections of this product are better than Shinglevent? Is the little fiber insert they glue underneath the issue? (it does look sorta cheesy and I can see stuff getting stuck in it)
Is the omni product thicker plastic? I'm all about doing this once and not having to mess with it again for many years. I'll prolly use screws to hold it down better.

I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.

azl6dpx 12-18-2010 05:19 PM

Omni Ridge Vent Issues
 
I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. Part No: LOR9-4 I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved