Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge vents?

I am confused about venting. Iím getting quotes to remove and replace the shingles on our house, about 16 years old. There are existing soffit vents. It looks like continuous vents in all the soffits - in the attic I can see light around the whole perimeter. One contractor suggested ridge vents would give better venting. Question: it looks from the shape of the roof that there is not much ridge. I read for ridge vents that the venting should be balanced, about equal vent area for soffit and ridge. How critical is that? If there is a lot more vent area in the soffits than the ridge, is that a problem?

klab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Ridge vents?

From the AIRVENT site:
According to most building codes, you need one square foot of vent area for each 150 square feet of attic floor space. The minimum is one square foot for every 300 square feet of attic floor space if there is a vapor retarder or the space is balanced between the ridge and intake vents. A balanced ventilation system means about 50 percent of the required ventilating area should be provided by exhaust vents in the upper portion of your attic with the remaining 50 percent provided by intake vents.

But, having some ridge vent will likely be better than no ridge vent in your case. Also, depending on the size of the attic, there may be enough ridge to satisfy the formula above. You'll just have extra intake. Not a problem.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

Ridge vents?

Before Air Vent Corporation recently introduced their acceptance of a slightly different version of their unique ridge vent design, I allowed for the application of standard baffled and filtered ridge vents to be installed at the top most portions of a hip on a hip style roof and also along the short ridge line.

Now, Air Vent, along with other ventilation manufacturers have products allowable for venting of the hip portions of the roofs, so I would suggest looking into that aspect to increase the exhaust portion of the equation.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Ridge vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Before Air Vent Corporation recently introduced their acceptance of a slightly different version of their unique ridge vent design, I allowed for the application of standard baffled and filtered ridge vents to be installed at the top most portions of a hip on a hip style roof and also along the short ridge line.

Now, Air Vent, along with other ventilation manufacturers have products allowable for venting of the hip portions of the roofs, so I would suggest looking into that aspect to increase the exhaust portion of the equation.

Ed
Hey Ed - You got any pictures of that? I'm having a hard time visualizing only part of the hip vented, cosmetically. Thanks.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #5

Ridge vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post

Ed
Thanks for the info - will check it out!

Also, are ridge vents better or more effective than square vents? Is there anything I should watch out for if I decide to move from square vents to ridge vent?

Any info appreciated. This will be a big budget item for me and I want to do it right the first time.
klab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

Ridge vents?

Yes,you would want to stay away from the roll on type ridgevent as it plugs up.I would go with shinglevent2.Ridgevents are much more effective if you have enough ridge.if you don't,I would go with an electric whole house house fan/vent.They also come solar powered.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #7

Ridge vents?

http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...olarRoof.shtml Heres a link for a solar powered version
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #8

Ridge vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Hey Ed - You got any pictures of that? I'm having a hard time visualizing only part of the hip vented, cosmetically. Thanks.
I "Allowed" some of my proposewd specifications to install the upper portion of the hips only, but never actually did one with just a partial venting.

I did do a couple with the entire hip lines being vented, due to the interior having a cathedral/vaulted cieling though.

I have seen several Fire Department Roofs and one Church Roof that does have only the top of the hip vented though, so some architects have used that as a specification I presume.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ridge vents, vents