Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge Vents

Can ridge vents be used on a hip roof? If so, which brand, type, or any other info. Input is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Mikero

Mikero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
MJW

Ridge Vents

Yes there is a ridge vent that works on hips. We have installed it before, but only once, and I can't remember what brand it was. Ask at your supplier.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Ridge Vents

I am not a fan of vented hips. I have seen a few products, but am very hesistant to use them for fear of wind blown moisture infiltration.

Please do not use a ridge vent on your hips!

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #4

Ridge Vents

I only installed the vents on a hip one time, due to the structure beneath having vaulted/cathedral ceilings.

The material was from Owens Corning and I think it was called Vent Sure.

There was another one I found, but my suppliers did not carry it, from Mid-Americe.

Generally, it is NOT advised to vent the hips of that style structure, but better to beef up the Intake Ventilation continuously and then using either an Electric Powered Attic Ventilator or a Solar Powered version.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote