Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Share |

Ridge vents

Bought a house a few months ago, and in getting ready for winter, noticed an issue with ridge vents along my 2 ridges. Had 2 different roofers look at, and they both said that when the roof was replaced - within the last 5-10 years - instead of using 2 1/2 inch nails on these ridge vents, it looks like they went ahead and used the 1 1/4 inch nails from their nail gun, and the ridge vents are starting to pull away, which is creating a gap you can put your fingers into.

Both recommended replacing the ridge vents with new ridge vents. They said they could not just replace the 1 1/4 inch nails with the 2 1/2 inch nails and use the old ridge vents.

I want to make sure they are putting in quality ridge vents and using the right nails this time so they will last. I currently have architectural style shingles.

One roofer said he would be using "GAF Cobra type" ridge vents. Are these a quality vent? If not, what would be some names of quality ridge vents?

I had heard that with installing the ridge vents that maybe "ribbed" nails would be best, but the one roofer said that he would be using 2 1/2 inch roofing nails, because the manufacturer of the ridge vents recommends this type instead of the ribbed. Is this the case? I just want to make sure they stay down, of course, this time.

He also said I had a choice to either have him cut the ridge caps needed from 3 tab shingles, which he said was up to building code and 90% of roofs are installed this way, or I can get the pre-cut ridge caps which are double thickness and supposedly are more durable. He said in his experience he hasn't seen any difference in durability, but it is up to me. Is it worth spending the extra money on the pre-cut ridge caps?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks!

kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Ridge vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah5683 View Post

I want to make sure they are putting in quality ridge vents and using the right nails this time so they will last. I currently have architectural style shingles.

One roofer said he would be using "GAF Cobra type" ridge vents. Are these a quality vent? If not, what would be some names of quality ridge vents?

I had heard that with installing the ridge vents that maybe "ribbed" nails would be best, but the one roofer said that he would be using 2 1/2 inch roofing nails, because the manufacturer of the ridge vents recommends this type instead of the ribbed. Is this the case? I just want to make sure they stay down, of course, this time.

He also said I had a choice to either have him cut the ridge caps needed from 3 tab shingles, which he said was up to building code and 90% of roofs are installed this way, or I can get the pre-cut ridge caps which are double thickness and supposedly are more durable. He said in his experience he hasn't seen any difference in durability, but it is up to me. Is it worth spending the extra money on the pre-cut ridge caps?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Cobra vent is crap.

To quote Joecaption...it looks like a snake trying to swallow a rat.

Be sure to use a proper, rigid, ridge vent. GAF Snow country and AirVent Shingle vent 2 are both good with the latter probably being the better.

When they are attached to the rafters or trusses, they don't usually pull out much but a ring shank nail is what you are referring to.

Just use shingle caps. They are about as cheap as 3 tabs now and look much better.

Have them run the ridge vent (not the cut) to the edge of the roof as it looks better that way.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #3

Ridge vents

I would not use Cobra style vents on my dog house. They just do not allow enough air flow.
Both my local shingle suppliers and even the local box stores all stop stocking it because of all the complaints.
2-1/2" galvanized roof nails will work fine.
Go for the real hip and ridge caps, 3 tabs used as caps can crack and are far more likely to fail.
There 90% done that way because there cheaper, not because they work.
http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...ngleVent.shtml
Ridge vents are useless without the proper amount of soffit venting.