Ridge Venting A Modular - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ridge venting a modular

We are installing a new single roof on my sonís 35 year old modular home. We found a lot of deck rot near the gutters and are planning on just replacing the deck 4ft up along the whole roof. This will let us blow in more insulation at the same time. We found only 1 inch of insulation above the ceiling. We plan on using foam spacers and batten insulation at the lower ends of the roof (by the gutters) to both maintain the vented air space near the roof and keep the blowing insulation from blocking the sofit vents. We have also decide to use ice/snow shield under the whole roof since the roof is only 2/12 pitch.

That was the plan but here is the problems/questions.

First, we found there were NO sofit vents under the eves. Second: when we removed the old ridge vent we found it was not doing anything. This was because when the home was made they used plywood on the ends of the trusses so the attic air could never reach the ridge vent.

If we cut the roof open on down side of this plywood it will result is a vent being very close to edge of the new ridge vent cap. I am concerned that we may not be able to seal this ridge vent properly (there will be only about ĺ inch of wood)

We were planning on adding sofit vents (under the eves) once the roof was finished. But in when looking for information about wider ridge vent for modular homes I have come across research that suggest that this attic space my have been sealed by design.
There are four small vents. ( 2 on each section) one is located over each bathroom and the other 2 are just evenly spaced 2/3rds up the roof. But this is the only venting on the whole roof.

I am now at a loss just what to do at this point? The roof is stripped of the old shingles. We are about ready to begin to add insulation.

We live in western PA zip code 16214 if this helps you determine our climate.

What do you suggest we do (or not) do about Venting?
Any help suggest would be great! Thanks in advance!
Carl

Advertisement

cburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ridge venting a modular

You need to post some photos, especially of the existing ridge vent slot and the plywood on the trusses, with a tape measure on the wood and the slot for a frame of reference.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Ridge venting a modular

We usually do total wood replacement on modulars. They usually have osb which is junk IMO and also usually have little to no ventilation.

Assuming you have a straight ridge from end to end that's good for ridge vent, but ridge vent will not work without equal or greater intake ventilation, that means you must have vents in your overhangs. Also you must not have the rafter bays blocked with insulation.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Ridge venting a modular

Not a modular, but do these pics have any relevance? http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/sho...6&file=921&s=0

Hopefully, they will offer some help.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #5

Ridge venting a modular

I wish the OP would post some photos for a proper solution to be provided, rather than guess work.

Ed
Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Ridge venting a modular

This project got pushed around due to weather and I never got you the pictures you asked for. I will try to post them later today.

You know this maybe part your own fault ... all of you!

You guys read this forum and reply back so fast that it is a bit scary. I am not use to some many willing-to-help people in one place.

Thanks in advanced!

PS it took me a while to figure out what OP was.
cburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #7

Ridge venting a modular

We were not beating up on you, just trying to find a better way to help out.

OP = Original Poster, just in case you were not completely sure.

Ed

Advertisement