Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ridge venting?

I was told that with my hose being 100 years old I can do ridge venting but i cant have the soffit vents. If they were to drill they would be drilling into a living space or into a wall cavity.

The did say that a gabel vent moved to a lower position on the roof would provide sufficient air flow for the ride vent to work.

Im looking to move away from the option of a power vent.

I currently have 2 small vents on the roof at maybe 8" diameter for a 1200 sqft area by say 5'6" to the peak of the roof.

Im looking for the best option, what would you suggest?

Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
43 years in construction

Ridge venting?

Do you have a soffit? A picture would help a lot.

Rick

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkitexas For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

Ridge venting?

Lets try this.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridge venting?-home.jpg  
Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
43 years in construction

Ridge venting?

Your house, and many homes in the north, are not typically designed to the ventilate attic for heat buildup but they are typically vented for moisture control. Some northern homes can be easily modified for heat ventilation but yours is not one of them. If you are venting for moisture its not too hard.

After viewing the photos, it appears that the lower eave overhangs enough to install soffit vents but the pathway to the attic is likely blocked by insulation at the sloped roof/ceiling above. If blocked, opening a pathway to the attic would be difficult. On the other hand, the hip eave appears to overhang enough for soffit vents and there should be enough room for an air path to the main attic. Baffles may be needed to prevent the attic insulation from blocking the path.

For moisture control, popular off-the-shelf ridge vents work o.k. provided the house has at least equal or greater free area of supply vents at the lower part of the attic (soffit). For heat evacuation, such ridge vents are very poor performers. I'm confused by the term "drilling" for air vents. Drilled vent holes infers very small holes. I have observed 1" diameter aluminum vents in residences. These are so small as to be non-functional, and for my part of the country, a laughable joke. Locally, we need large volumes of air transfer to reduce the attic heat load. In Indiana I'm assuming you are venting mainly for moisture control rather than for heat evacuation. Determine the total "free" area of your ridge vent(s) and install soffit vents of equal or greater aggregate free area.

Judging from the photo I don't see a gable, low or otherwise, where the contractor could install a gable vent. Gable vents work best when there are at least two and located at opposite ends of the roof.

Rick
Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Ridge venting?

I may have the terms wrong. If you look above the gutter, there is a silver vent. Thats what im calling a gabel vent.

The picture is taken from the West side of the house facing east. I have two vents, one on the east side ond one on the west side (in the picture).

The soffit at the very top will match up to the attic, but the slopes will not match up at all. That will be into living space. The holes would be 1 inch diameters along the length, of the gutter in this picture into the attic.

The roofer said if we reposition that vent on the roof lower toward the gutter will act the same but not be in the soffit. None of my soffit has a vent panel in it.

Im looking to vent moisture and some heat in the summer. I have very little insulation in the attic now, but plans are in the works to add alot more in the future.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
43 years in construction

Ridge venting?

Your vent is not a gable vent (which would be triangular shaped and set in a vertical wall surface), but rather a hood vent. Not a big deal as I now understand what you mean.

Your roofer is right, the hood vent could be placed near the eave to provide supply air like a soffit vent would but I see several considerations.

1. To provide enough total net FREE area at the hood vents to match or exceed the total net FREE area of the ridge vents you need more than one or two of those hood vents.
2. To achieve even coverage of migrating air two or three per hip (per roof face) are needed regardless of the free area provided.
3. Every roof penetration is a potential leak. That is one reason soffit vents are common.
4. If appearance is important, three hood vents per roof surface may not be desirable.

I recommend pressing the roofer to investigate installation of soffit vents, evenly spaced along the soffit facing the photo (and the other three walls with similar roof configurations). After cutting the soffit for the vents, a pathway to the attic space must be cleared where the roof rafters set on the wall just above the eave. Depending on the construction this may be easy or difficult. The roofer may be reluctant to do such work because it is more labor intensive and is not really "roofing work" but rather framer/carpenter work. Lastly, the roofers solution is the least costly. Hope this helps.

Rick
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Ridge venting?

All four side of my house look the same as the back (in the photo) so in the north and south sides adding say 2 vents would be no issue to the eye as you really couldnt see them. On the other two sides, that would be up to the wifes eye. I will push for them to investigate the the soffit venting.

He is going to install 50 feet of Lomanco Shingle Over Ridge Vent.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
43 years in construction

Ridge venting?

We can see who's eye rules around your house ...... it's the same at my house.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkitexas For This Useful Post:
Mr Smiley (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

Ridge venting?

For me, its all about it has to look decent and function. It has to look pretty to her.