DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

ridge vent vs. gable ceiling fan

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 ·
I'm getting conflicting advice re: ventilation on my re-roofing job in California. Putting on an OSB deck over skip sheathing with comp shingle on top. Currently, the roof section in question has two gable vents, eave vents, and one attic fan situated at one of the gable vents. Most roofers have advised using a ridge vent on this roof, and do nothing else, leave everything else as is. This in order to achieve adequate ventilation and meet CA Title 24 energy requirements. One roofer said he would not install a ridge vent, the attic fan at the gable vent would pull in hot air through the ridge vent and mess up the air circulation that is supposed to escape out the ridge vent. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Anyone that says to install ridge vent and not to change up the existing vents has no idea what he or she is talking about. Please go to www.airvent.com to learn the basics of attic ventilation. A ridge vent used in conjunction with most other forms of ventilation will simply not work. A ridge vent used without an intake, preferrably at the siffits, will simply not work.

TRUST the roofer who brought up the fan. Based on that advice he seems to knoww hat he is talking about. He gave the same advice I would have if you were my customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.