Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 258

Ridge vent shingling..How to do it properly?

What is the best way to shingle a ridge vent? I have never done a roof before and this is the only part that I can't find detailed instructions on.

I understand the installation of the vent itself. cut slot in ridge of roof..leave about a foot or so on each end uncut..

I understand the part about making ridge shingles, taking a regular 3 tab shingle and cutting it into three tabs...cutting a taper on the backs of each piece..each piece overlaps the other all the way across..

I have seen several tutorials online and even went to the book store the other night and found a couple of home remodel books. Several even had articles on ridge vent installation but none are detailed enough and they all contradict each other.

I know that the last shinlgle piece put down has to be correct because if it isn't the roof will leak. I know I will have to get some roffing tar and do it correctly.

Can somebody point me towards a very detailed article or explain this to me?

Thanks

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
What is the best way to shingle a ridge vent? I have never done a roof before and this is the only part that I can't find detailed instructions on.

I understand the installation of the vent itself. cut slot in ridge of roof..leave about a foot or so on each end uncut..

I understand the part about making ridge shingles, taking a regular 3 tab shingle and cutting it into three tabs...cutting a taper on the backs of each piece..each piece overlaps the other all the way across..

I have seen several tutorials online and even went to the book store the other night and found a couple of home remodel books. Several even had articles on ridge vent installation but none are detailed enough and they all contradict each other.

I know that the last shinlgle piece put down has to be correct because if it isn't the roof will leak. I know I will have to get some roffing tar and do it correctly.

Thanks
No need for roof cement. Just follow my directions. THe last 7-10 caps are adjusted so they all land like in the tutorial.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Ridge%20Vent%20Detail.htm

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
J S Machine (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Fairly difficult to explain, easy to install though, try U tube? If nothing is found I can give you a couple detailed step by step sites.For youtube.com enter "installing ridge vent"
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
No need for roof cement. Just follow my directions. THe last 7-10 caps are adjusted so they all land like in the tutorial.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Ridge%20Vent%20Detail.htm
Hey Tinner nice to see you here.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post

You can leave more than a foot. In fact, it's detrimental if you have more exhaust than intake at the eaves. Calculate your eave intake, and cut the shingles out for the equivalent length to get the NFAexhaust==NFAintake.

Quote:

I have seen several tutorials online and even went to the book store the other night and found a couple of home remodel books.
Only dog-ear hip coping. Nobody will ever know (other than a roofer), if you don't dog-ear a ridge.

Quote:
Nooo. no tar. Coping starts East to West, and North to South in my area (to account for prevailing winds), and when you get three shingles from the end you put three South to Northe or West to East. The last one gets cut in half the opposite way of the tabs so you only have the colored granules left, and face nailed and caulked.

Quote:

Thanks

Last edited by jmiller; 01-17-2011 at 05:46 PM.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I like the new style hip and ridge shingles. They elimate the cutting and lay down much better if it's a dimensional shingle.

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote