DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ridge Vent on a Shed

37K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  chandler48 
#1 ·
The shed is 10 x16' with a 5/12 gable roof with 3-tab asphalt shingles. There will be no attic area or insulation. I have continuous soffit vents installed on both sides and have shingled up to the slot in the ridge.

I was about to install the Shingle Vent II ridge vent and called the mfgr about an install question. They informed me that they don’t recommend ridge vent installations on sheds or buildings w/o an attic. The say the sheds air flow does not move up to the ridge and might be susceptible to air/water coming in at the ridge.

Of course the person at Lowes recommended this for my shed and the documentation that comes with the ridge vent mention nothing of an attic. Several web howto's for shed building that I've used all include a ridge vent.

From what I’ve read, ridge and soffit vents are supposed to be the best combination for ventilation. Is this only true for roofs over attics?

Has anyone heard of this before? Should I just install gable vents to go along w/soffit vents?

I already have the ridge vents and the roof is prepped for install so the hard work is done.

TIA

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
It makes sense to me to install the ridge vent. The purpose is to keep the sheathing and roof from extreme heat, which shortens their life. Unless the shed is in constant shade, put it in.
Ron

#3 · (Edited)
If the shed is a detached and unheated space, there is no "Technical" reason to vent it.

But, many people want to relieve the excessive heat, so it is done frequently.

I have used this detail before and also reconfigured it to fold over the top edge of the shed framing.

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/offpeak.htm

Ed

#4 ·
Ed, Thanks for the details on the smart vent - I wish I would have seen that earlier.

However, it looks like the vent install is required before I put the shingles up, which I have already done. At this point, unless neither is a useful option, I wonder if a ridge vent or gable vent will help with the summer heat.

If it turns out the vent has little use on the shed, I'll just fill in the slot with scrap plywood and take the $36 worth of ridge vent back to Lowes.

The summers are hot here in N.C. and there is little shade right now from newly planted birch trees. I could just crack the windows in the summer, but since heat rises, this might not be the best option.

So far one reply (Ron) saying the ridge vent would be useful and I'm leaning that way.

#7 ·
Not to bring an old thread from the dead, but I am trying to do the same thing on a 10x8 custom shed that I build with vaulted ceilings.... Not planning to finish the ceiling / roof with anything other than some baffles that may help redirect the air at the bottom of the rafters (@overhangs) to the ridge vent. Trying to go with a simple vent that i found at Menards (13$ per 3 feet, so i would need 3 of those) Not breaking the bank. I plan to put flat plastic soffits under the 9" overhangs with all perforated/vented holes on both sides .

Goal is to create a way for hot air to raise to the top and exit the shed, making the shed more usable in the summer as gardening / storage shed. Also my hope is that the ridge vent would be way more effective than a small 8x12 vent at the back of the shed (and probably would need 2 for cross ventilation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.