Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Ridge Vent with roof vents and Soffit vents

A new roof was installed 2 years ago. The roofer said "you can never have enough venting". He installed a ridge vent and installed newer existing roof vents that were about 1 foot below the ridge vent. I have soffit venting as well.
My ? is this. Will this work properly? I think the roof vents (5), that close to the ridge vent will act as an air source for the ridge vent thus eliminating the function of the soffit venting and causing a drafting problem and not removing the stall or other air (hot or cold) from the lower part of the attic.
I saw a HOH ep where this problem was discussed and the roof vents were removed (drafting air) to allow the soffits vent to perform as originally intended. Any helpis appreciated.
I have searched the forums but couldn't find a match to this exact question.

apquery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #2

IMHO the rooof vents within 1' of the peak are not a problem but to have an efficient system you need to make sure you have is the same amount of sq. footage of intake ventilation (NFA) at the soffit level as you do exhaust ventilation at the highest point of your roof.

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to josall For This Useful Post:
apquery (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #3

I think that means (NFA) that if the soffit holes are 10 (sq ft) total then the ridge vent should be 10 sq ft too. If the roof vents (5) total 2.5 sq ft the ridge should be 12.5 sq ft of exhaust.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #4

I would include the roof vents and ridge vents for your total exhaust number.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to josall For This Useful Post:
apquery (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #5

I thought I did. 10 + 2.5 = 12.5. BTW how do I caculate without removing the soffits or climbing around the attic which I can't do 'cause I'm to old to do that kind of investigating. In a few years what would tell me if the attic is not NFA and needs correcting? Maybe lower roof singles failing but uppers ok? If I got someone to get on the roof and put a ribbon or light fabric at the roof vents and or ridge vent and found it sucking air and not exhausting that should tell the story of drafting or exhaust. If so the same external test could be done at the soffits. Yes?

Last edited by apquery; 08-20-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: sp?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

Technically, he should not have done both exhaust vents. normally you don't do both. Sound like he just padded the bill. What is the square footage of the attic and how long is the roof peak?

Also, what type of ridge vent did they install? They do nto all flow the same.

Last edited by beerdog; 08-22-2011 at 09:31 PM.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beerdog For This Useful Post:
apquery (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

beerdog,
Sorry for the delay but we have been just escaping the passing toranados off Lake Huron. I didn't know if I would have a roof to measure. Luckily I still do for now.
I'm taking a rough calculated guess from the ground here as I won't go onto the roof. The attic space is "L" shaped. The back section with the roof vents and ridge vent is about 900 + sq ft and the "L" turns over the garage which is 20x20 feet or about 400 sq ft (it too has a ridge vent but no roof vents as they were removed (3). The peak ridge on the 900 over the house is about 20 feet and the one over the garage is about 15 feet and has a gable vent to supplemnt the soffit vents in an octagon shape about 2 sq ft.
The house part has a four sided pitched roof which takes it to the ridge (peak) that is 22 feet (?) vent a foot less I think.
Hope I explained that ok or I can attach a photo(s) I think. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

A icture is sooooooooo much easier.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by apquery View Post
A new roof was installed 2 years ago. The roofer said "you can never have enough venting". He installed a ridge vent and installed newer existing roof vents that were about 1 foot below the ridge vent. I have soffit venting as well.
My ? is this. Will this work properly? I think the roof vents (5), that close to the ridge vent will act as an air source for the ridge vent thus eliminating the function of the soffit venting and causing a drafting problem and not removing the stall or other air (hot or cold) from the lower part of the attic.
I saw a HOH ep where this problem was discussed and the roof vents were removed (drafting air) to allow the soffits vent to perform as originally intended. Any helpis appreciated.
I have searched the forums but couldn't find a match to this exact question.
Shouldn't hurt either way. You should always aim to have more intake than exhaust air if you are going to error on one side vs. the other.

They should always be close but more intake than exhaust is better than they other way around.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote