Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge Vent Problem?

Ok.. Take a look at my house:
There are no soffit vents as the slant of the roof at the turn from the steep angle to gentle basically meet the top of the walls.

We had the roof replaced in the spring of '11 and the roofer went with ridge venting. I noticed last summer and this summer that the house seems significantly warmer. So much so, that the A/C now struggles to keep the temperature in check.

I have an office over the garage. There are NO gable or soffit vents for it.

The house has the same shape and again, has no soffit vents, but does have gable vents.

From what I have been reading on here, I have a problem as the system does not have the proper amount of airflow? In any case, I am considering putting turbines back on (I had 2 with the original roof) OR a couple of solar powered vents.

I would happily take advice on both the over garage office and the main house in regards to fixing the venting issues.

dbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

Ridge Vent Problem?

You can never have enough ventilation for your roof. Now for a question? How much insulation do you have in your attic? R- what? you might want to check on that too. R-40 or better plus do you have bird blocking? you can also put a thermostat fan in the gable ends of your house to help out the ventilation.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

Ridge Vent Problem?

Are the knee-wall attics connected to the ridge vent attic with baffles at the sloped ceiling?

Where are you located?

Gary
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Ridge Vent Problem?

Is there an easy way to tell on the baffles?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Ridge Vent Problem?

I'm not sure why you would have baffles at all if there is no soffit vents. Where are you located? What year was the home built? Do you have any attic access at all? The room above the garage, are there straight knee walls? Or does your sheetrocked ceiling/walls follow the same shape as your roof?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #6

Ridge Vent Problem?

Home was built in 79
In the over garage room, there are knee walls that form a nice box. There is no room for soffit vents on the over-garage room at all.
Located in the Tulsa, OK area
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Ridge Vent Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyte View Post
Ok.. Take a look at my house:
There are no soffit vents as the slant of the roof at the turn from the steep angle to gentle basically meet the top of the walls.

We had the roof replaced in the spring of '11 and the roofer went with ridge venting. I noticed last summer and this summer that the house seems significantly warmer. So much so, that the A/C now struggles to keep the temperature in check.

I have an office over the garage. There are NO gable or soffit vents for it.

The house has the same shape and again, has no soffit vents, but does have gable vents.

From what I have been reading on here, I have a problem as the system does not have the proper amount of airflow? In any case, I am considering putting turbines back on (I had 2 with the original roof) OR a couple of solar powered vents.

I would happily take advice on both the over garage office and the main house in regards to fixing the venting issues.

Your gable vents are fighting your ridge vent. Ridge vents prefer soffit vents.
mihulka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

Ridge Vent Problem?

Adding turbines IMO is a waste.If it were me I would install soffit screens.If you are able to use a jigsaw,a tape,square,pencils,safety glasses,drills and a ladder you can install them yourself.

The RidgeVent soffit combo is the best ventilation combination out there.And if your real crafty you can remove the mesh and paint the screens to match the overhang color.Painting the mesh will render the screen useless.But obviously you will need to reattach the mesh to keep the critters out.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 06-30-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote