Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ridge vent Plus roof fan?

I'm about to get a re-roof and already have a ridge vent plus a roof fan with a cap that turns on automatically. Do I need both or can I save some money by forgoing the ridge vent and just keeping the fan?

mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Two opposing exhaust ventilation systems will compete against each other and will short circuit the ventilation flowage.

With a Powered Attic Ventilator, proper continuous soffit Intake Ventilation is critical.

Decide on one system over the other, but if you have enough ridge length and the total NFVA, since ridge venting consumes no power and does not pull air from the interior conditioned living quarters, that would typically be the preference.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

Thanks, Ed. Exactly the info I needed. I'm guessing the roofer will remove the fan and replace the plywood. The extra cost to do that should be more than offset by the $ savings for the electricity used for the powered fan.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Thanks, Ed. Exactly the info I needed. I'm guessing the roofer will remove the fan and replace the plywood. The extra cost to do that should be more than offset by the $ savings for the electricity used for the powered fan.

Don't "Guess" that he will do that.

Have it written down and as detailed as possible in the written proposal/contract to avoid any future disagreements.

It will be a big benefit too, so go with it.

Ed
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #5

Ed,

I appreciate your bottom-line no-nonsense input and would like more of it.

Bottom line is that I'm having a bear of a time finding a roofer to do my job.

1st guy was referred by a friend who does historic quality renovations and swears by the roofer. But the roofer had personal/marital problems and didn't keep two appointments to meet with me. It was clear he was overwhelmed so I let it go.

2nd guy did a great job with the house directly across the street. He uses foreign (eastern European) workers and gave a clear written estimate for 30 year dimensional shingles. Problem was he didn't follow up when the insurance co. asked for an estimate for the three-tabs that needed to be replaced.

3rd guy was referred by the private insurance adjuster who has used him for years for all types of work, including high-end businesses and homes. Great guy who called every week when there was rain and assured me that when the weather broke for three days we'd have our roof. I told him he couldn't control the weather and we'd be patient. Turns out that his roofing supervisor was out of commission and he strung us along for quite several month even when we had good weather. He appeared sincerely apologetic and when he returned our money with three months interest, he gave us about $550 too much "for your aggravation." I immediately sent him a check for the $550 and politely told him my aggravation ended when we cut our ties with him.

4th guy was doing an extensive renovation for a cabinet maker's workshop that I pass twice a day. All local workers and the cabinet maker told me he's been using him for years. The guy tells me he's busy and it'll take about two weeks to get to the job. Fine, just LMK. It takes two weeks to get an estimate (good price but few details) and I tell him we're ready to go. It's now two weeks later and he hasn't arranged to come by for us to pick out the shingles we want. I hate chasing after contractors but I left a second message today telling him we're ready.

5th guy, (while we're waiting for #4) hand nails, no gun. He's an old-timer who really knows his stuff and his estimate is 50% higher than the others. Won't do it until the fall when the weather is cooler. I wish I had the money to afford him and I can't wait until fall.

6th guy lives around the corner (I don't know him, never met him) and is a salesman for a large roofing/siding company. I saw a roofing job being done on his next door neighbor. Foreign workers who have all the automatic tools to get the bundles of shingles onto the roof and get the job done quickly. His price is about $300/square for Elk 30 year Prestige. I have 25 square and two layers of shingles that have to be taken off.

I know I'm giving a lot of (probably needless) information, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Also does it matter if workers are foreign or local? What should I expect for a ball-park cost per square for a two layer removal and 30 year Elk dimensional with necessary ice/water shield, 15 lb. felt and clean up and haul away?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #6

Firstly, did you contact that many roofers from the start?

If so, they "May" have gotten the impression that you were wasting their time and shopping the job too much and therfor, just looking for the lowest price.

I may be incorrect with that assumption, but many contractors or salesmen see things that way.

I need to read and think about the choices that you listed a little better with more time, rather than just jump to a rash conclusion to aide you the best, so wait until tonight or tomorrow morning please.

You posted a lot to consider and I want to digest that accordingly.

Ed
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

Good point. I only contacted one roofer at a time and only called the next one when it was clear the one I was dealing with had run it's course.