Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
JTF

Rewards Points: 10

To ridge vent or not to ridge vent?

We have a 20 year old house in Austin, TX with a wind damaged, crummy, 3-tab builder's roof. I have taken two bids for a standing seam metal roof.

One guy wants to put in a ridge vent. The back half of the roof is a large section with no gables or dormers. It has 8 soffit vents. The front half of the roof has three large gables with only one soffit vent and precious few areas to add more.

The other guy says a ridge vent won't really work right because of the lack of soffit vents in the front and recommends several turtle vents on the back with typical side gable vents.

Who is right?
Attached Thumbnails
To ridge vent or not to ridge vent?-img_1779.jpg  

JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

Both styles need a soffit vent.
A ridge vent would sure look a whole lot better then a bunch of other vents and vent a whole lot more air.

Some of the slate looking shingle like this would look a whole lot better.
http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...r/Grand_Slate/

Last edited by joecaption; 03-23-2013 at 05:59 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
AndyWRS (03-25-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 508

Your house is perfect for a ridge vent. Just add some soffit vents.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,020

I can see at least three areas that should have had soffit vents on the front.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
JTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Both styles need a soffit vent.
A ridge vent would sure look a whole lot better then a bunch of other vents and vent a whole lot more air.

Some of the slate looking shingle like this would look a whole lot better.
http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...r/Grand_Slate/
Well the back roof has a total of 11 roof penetrations from plumbing and heating vents. Adding a few more vents probably won't matter. Also the back roof is not really visible except from some high vantage points several thousand feet away. The backyard is a fairly steep slope down to a creek so it is next to impossible to see it.

As far as adding more soffits in front, the only place to add is around that area above the front door. However I can tell you that it is connected to the main attic area only by a small constricted opening. The other tiny soffit areas may or may not have any air connection to the attic. I have not yet checked that out.

We are going with metal roofing because we plan to remodel the the exterior of the house to a much more modern/contemporary and less traditional style.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
JTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I can see at least three areas that should have had soffit vents on the front.
Yeah so much for crappy mass produced builders homes. The only vent in the front is on that small soffit on the left side. I guess we will add them wherever we can.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited by JTF; 03-23-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 540

"Some of the slate looking shingle like this would look a whole lot better.
http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...r/Grand_Slate/ "

+1

That would look 10 times better.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTF View Post

We are going with metal roofing because we plan to remodel the the exterior of the house to a much more modern/contemporary and less traditional style.

I vote for a ridge vent, can't have too much ventilation but you can sure have too little and the top of the ridge is the ideal place since heat rises.

What kind of metal roof?
I'm researched the metal shingles by PermaLoc and bought a box to look at, I have to re do my roof now after only 8 years due to DEFECTIVE Certainteed 3 tab 30 year shingles. I filed with the class-action suit last year and received a check for almost $1,200
The 3 tab roof materials cost me about $900, so in effect they paid me about a 120% refund on the shingles.

I had covered the entire deck with Tamko moisture guard and there are no leaks but the shingles are going bad in the sunny locations.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

Ridge vent. Plenty of area for soffits on the front and if the back is more continuous without the dormers, they will be perfect as well.

In Austin, we are a bit less worried about the ice damn potential than we are the total circulation and balance of ventilation.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
JTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Ridge vent. Plenty of area for soffits on the front and if the back is more continuous without the dormers, they will be perfect as well.

In Austin, we are a bit less worried about the ice damn potential than we are the total circulation and balance of ventilation.
Yes the back is continuous with no dormers. The gables in the front are made of trusses with partial vaulted ceilings. I'm going to assume there is batt insulation between the ceiling and the roof deck - so no airflow there.

I take it that a ridge vent wants a balanced intake for optimal operation. However, I figure they still work in this situation when one side has a much better flow than the other?

BTW we may be backing away from the metal roof (standing seam). It's so expensive that, while we can afford it, it leaves us less money to make other improvements.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
BTW we may be backing away from the metal roof (standing seam). It's so expensive that, while we can afford it, it leaves us less money to make other improvements.
I opted for the Perma-lock aluminum locking shingles, it may be less than the standing seam but will be more than 3 tab.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #12

I am doing some home improvement also, House is 15 years old and wanting to replace roof, add a patio cover and redo the kitchen. O yea, some landscaping . . I was wondering how much is the standing seam tin quote? Any negatives to ridge vent?
robsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

JTF, you mentioned high winds; http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...iw=847&bih=483

Depends on how accessible the roof is, if HVAC/ducts are in attic, tray ceilings, dormers/rake ceilings, etc. to go unvented; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

1" rigid foamboard between rafters; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...006_par003.htm

With R-25, use the existing f.g. on the attic floor to meet R-30 total; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_sec002.htm

Or just add more venting, top/bottom and hope it says intact. Check with local AHJ.

Gary
PS. IMHO, the lop-sided venting will pull air from the easiest source (unobstructed).
Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
JTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsatx View Post
I am doing some home improvement also, House is 15 years old and wanting to replace roof, add a patio cover and redo the kitchen. O yea, some landscaping . . I was wondering how much is the standing seam tin quote? Any negatives to ridge vent?

The quote for the standing seam was around $12k from two different roofers. That was with a tear off of the existing roof. It included drip edge which the house does not currently have.

Last edited by JTF; 04-06-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
registered

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
The quote for the standing seam was around $12k from two different roofers. That was with a tear off of the existing roof. It included drip edge which the house does not currently have.

Not a bad price for a metal roof. Also you will never have to replace it again.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote