Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #1

Share |

ridge vent issue

roofer installed typar over the ridgevent and then installed cobra vent and filter. we are up in the adirondacks (cold weather) and building a new log home. the house is retaining moisture and the insullator says it is because he put the typar barrier up and the house is not breathing properly. should be slice the typar open, which was pput there to further protect against bug intrusion?

wrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #2

ridge vent issue

I would use screen over the vent instead of Typar.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #3

ridge vent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrene View Post
roofer installed typar over the ridgevent and then installed cobra vent and filter. we are up in the adirondacks (cold weather) and building a new log home. the house is retaining moisture and the insullator says it is because he put the typar barrier up and the house is not breathing properly. should be slice the typar open, which was pput there to further protect against bug intrusion?
I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.
azl6dpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #4

ridge vent issue

I have the Omni Ridge Vent on my home. The plastic one that comes in the 4 foot sections. I live in Minnesota and we get lots of snow here. When we get a strong wind, snow will come into your attic. Lots of it too. The fine snow will come in through the slots in this product and sit in the attic. It eventually will melt and ruin insulation, sheetrock and whatever else lies beneath. I would suggest using a different product if it's not to late.
azl6dpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Residential Roofer

ridge vent issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrene View Post
If your roofer installed typar over the slot in the deck and than installed the ridge vent, the ridge vent is not working 'breathing' and you simply need to cut that typar out, if you have a large enough attic/crawl space over your ceiling area you can cut it out from inside with out removing the ridge vent.
(Being extremely careful to not cut the vent)

You do not need bug protection under the ridge vent, only need that at the ends and they make end caps.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote