Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

ridge vent on a hip roof house

My parents built a house in 1990. not the best idea in venting. Builder has passed on as my father. House is 36 by 46 rectangle with a 26 by 32 garage forming an L shape and it is all hip roof.

Present venting is a baffle every other rafter bay and a soffit vent panel every 6 th panel the other 5 being solid. with 2 foot overhang. Then a power vent in highest part in rear slope.

Thinking I could improve venting to prevent a reoccurance of when several years ago had to reoof and replace much plywood decking because delamed and waved.

Thinking if I added ridge vent but very little ridge to square feet of roof unless I put ridge vent on the hip slopes so those rafter bays can breathe...Then take noisy power robbing vent fan out

Do I need to try to slide baffles down the bays that dont have them?? Will that work from inside?

Is the existing soffit vents adequate enough? it would be really expensive to tear out all existing soffit and replacing. Any less costly alternative???

I have never seen where hip slopes were ridge vented but dont see why it would not work. Do YOU???

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

They make a special vent for hips. It is relatively new to market and I wouldn't put the current one on my house. I believe they are designing it with less reliance of sealant. Ridge vent on a hip will leak.

PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

I put a baffle in each rafter bay and the entire soffit is vented, fully, not with the half panels.

If you can't achieve the recommended area with the ridge vent, then you can always add the traditional roof vents.

I still see buildings being built with the old roof vents instead of the ridge vents, not sure why.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote