Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ridge Vent, Gable Vents and Soffits?

We are having a new roof installed this week and having a ridge vent installed. Also have three gable vents. Same guys are doing vinyl siding on our trim and have covered up our soffitt vents. Husband is not happy about this and the owner stopped by today to tell me you don't need all three and the ridge vent will work best with the gable vents.

I've tried researching and reading some links with lots of info about air speeds and studies that have been done but it is a bit confusing for a novice.

Any advice? Help please. Thanks,

Deana

Qwackertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackertoo View Post
We are having a new roof installed this week and having a ridge vent installed. Also have three gable vents. Same guys are doing vinyl siding on our trim and have covered up our soffitt vents. Husband is not happy about this and the owner stopped by today to tell me you don't need all three and the ridge vent will work best with the gable vents.

I've tried researching and reading some links with lots of info about air speeds and studies that have been done but it is a bit confusing for a novice.

Any advice? Help please. Thanks,

Deana
Well, the siding guy's statement is BS to cover his butt. It actually might be true in a few cases, but it's not very likely. They need to uncover the soffitt vents. Don't pay until they do. Those vents were there for a reason.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Well, the siding guy's statement is BS to cover his butt. It actually might be true in a few cases, but it's not very likely. They need to uncover the soffitt vents. Don't pay until they do. Those vents were there for a reason.
Thank you. After much reading and research this a.m. and a few phone calls with husband . . . he has now talked to them and they have apologized and admitted they were wrong. I guess my husband even found photos of boxes of cobra ridge vents and it says right on the box NOT to use them in conjunction with gable vents so now they will need to block those and uncover and fix the soffitt ones. Whew. The guy even said once to my husband on the phone, "you're just not understanding, I'll come out and explain it to you in person". LOL My husband told him that he understood just fine and that he thought the guy was WRONG. I don't like conflict but I want my stuff done RIGHT.
Qwackertoo is offline   Reply With Quote