Ridge Vent Choices. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Indentured Servant

Rewards Points: 75

ridge vent choices.

I am about to put a ridge vent in my home, pitch is 12 - 12. I will be cutting the vent in and putting the vent in myself. I will have help on the ground, but only me on the roof. I see two types of vents, the roll out ones and the sectional, I think 4 foot long pieces. Which do you think would be easier to do without any rooftop help? Leaning towards the pieces instead of having the roll keep falling as I roll it out.

Advertisement

jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

ridge vent choices.

Totally a means and method question. If you think the 4' sectional will be easier for you then do it. If the roll gives you the warm and fuzzy, then use it. Either product, if the specs are similar, will function the same once installed so it's a matter of how you wish to install it.

If you're worried about it falling you could always unroll it totally and tack the end somewhere down the line of the ridge (not too far that it is stretched to reach the start point).

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Indentured Servant

Rewards Points: 75

ridge vent choices.

Oh and another question, is it common to vent the entire length or just the area above the rafters, leaving the overhangs invented?
jackpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

ridge vent choices.

I've seen it done either way. The overhangs don't need to have the vent strip.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

ridge vent choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine View Post
I am about to put a ridge vent in my home, pitch is 12 - 12. I will be cutting the vent in and putting the vent in myself. I will have help on the ground, but only me on the roof. I see two types of vents, the roll out ones and the sectional, I think 4 foot long pieces. Which do you think would be easier to do without any rooftop help? Leaning towards the pieces instead of having the roll keep falling as I roll it out.
Thats the way I would do it, with the 4 foot sections, similar to a product such as Shingle Vent II from the Air Vent Corp., and for cosmetic purposes only, I would run the ridge vents from end to end, so that the roof looks like you did not run out of materials.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

ridge vent choices.

A finer point on some mesh: http://www.inspectapedia.com/interiors/atticcond10.htm

Gary

Advertisement