Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ridge vent on 2:12 slope cathedral roof

Hello,

I'm reshingling a roof, which is a low-slope (2:12) cathedral style. It has no attic, only a 1.5" air space between two sheets of plywood, which is well vented into the soffits. There are spacers which run vertically from eave to ridge.

The house gets very hot in the summer, and which is why the ridge vent is being looked at, to allow more hot air to escape. I am worried though that with the low-slope that I may be asking for trouble if I don't approach the ridge vent properly.

The roof is fairly small, with 13'6" from ridge to eaves.

I was hoping to do a continuous ridge vent, but I'm worried about the 2:12 slope causing problems with this. One other thought was having space along the ridge that joins all the vertical spaces, and have it sealed off except for two turbine vents to pull air out.

Anyway, does anybody have any thoughts on the best way to approach installing a ridge vent on such a roof?

Any comments are much appreciated!
Dave

DaveM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

A ridge vent would be the best solution, but I'm unaware of any that are recommended for less than 3/12 slopes. Try searching "ridge vent" and see if you can find a model that's usable on a 2/12. I don't like the whirly bird idea.

Also, your main problem is likely too little insulation. Letting the hot air out of the raceway will help, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement. See if one side of the roof is acting as inlet and one as outlet now. You should be able to feel heat coming out of one side.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #3

Thank you... I did Google very extensively, and was unable to find a ridge vent solution that worked for 2:12 (saw many for 3:12, as you said). I thought maybe there might be something I could do to make it work for 2:12, but couldn't find anything in Google.

I was hoping that someone here might have some suggestions on what they did in a similar situation, or perhaps know of a product/solution that might work here.

Dave
DaveM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM75 View Post
Thank you... I did Google very extensively, and was unable to find a ridge vent solution that worked for 2:12 (saw many for 3:12, as you said). I thought maybe there might be something I could do to make it work for 2:12, but couldn't find anything in Google.

I was hoping that someone here might have some suggestions on what they did in a similar situation, or perhaps know of a product/solution that might work here.

Dave
You could always *make* a ridge vent. It's just a little roof over a hole in your big roof, right?

You might look at a regular ridge vent and see if you can adapt it to make it work for your situation.

good luck!
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #5

the problem is you should not even be shingleing any thing under a 3/12 ridge venting could cause you problems with leakage now that you have it already done you have very little space in there for any air movement at all a whirlybird will look good spinning in the wind and that is about all it will do there is an electric vent that can be installed that pulls out the hot air but you all so need a vent that allows cold intake as well with the low slope you do not have a lot of options (should have used torch-on )
duece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low pitch roof, ridge vent