Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #1

Share |

ridge/soffit vents not enough??

Have a 2 story cape cod style home that is about 10 years old with a black roof that gets constant sunlight in Virginia...It has ridge vents across the entire roof and soffit vents all the way accross the front of the building. There doesn't seem to be any soffit vents across the back because there is an addition across the back.
This combination of vents does not seem to be adequate as attic temps sometimes top out as high as 175 degrees which puts a terrible strain on the upstairs a/c.
It seems that everything I read warns of short-circuiting the ventilation. Is there anything that will supplement ridge vents other than more soffit venting which is impossible for me?
I had thought about possibly installing power fans in the roof to move more air but they say that they will just suck air in from the ridge vents??
Wouldn't air from the ridge vents atleast be cooler air than what is already in the attic?
I don't know what I should do. Any advice will be appreciated.

thanks,
Jamie
Virginia
cbice74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

ridge/soffit vents not enough??

Here is an option for you for the lower roof area, if there is absolutely no way to install continuous soffit venting in the existing soffits.

http://www.advancedenergyhome.com/ve...ster_solar.pdf

and also see this information

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/21202.pdf

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote