Ridge Shingles Question? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ridge shingles question?

I need to post a pic later when I get a chance... BUT, I have a question about the small roof right about my front door. I have a stone archway with a small peak roof above the front door. On top is the ridge with the correct shingles installed by the roofer. The ridge line is probably 5 feet is all.

Towards the back of the ridge where it meets the main roof, one of the shingles is stacked higher than the rest and doesn't look the same as the other ridge shingles. I had a roofer come out today to look at it because I was concerned. He said that's normal, that's the way they joined the ridge together? Does that make sense at all? I will try to post a pic later so you can get a better idea.

But from what I've explained, does that sound correct? Why would that one ridge shingle sit higher than the rest?

Advertisement

dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #2

Ridge shingles question?

No one??

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Ridge shingles question?

The last ridge shingle will be only the revealed part face nailed over the end(s) of the next to last ridge shingle(s). Probably nothing wrong, but a picture would be worth, oh, I don't know, a thousand words, maybe.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

Ridge shingles question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
The last ridge shingle will be only the revealed part face nailed over the end(s) of the next to last ridge shingle(s). Probably nothing wrong, but a picture would be worth, oh, I don't know, a thousand words, maybe.
Hehe you're right. I'll post one later tonight.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #5

Ridge shingles question?

Hopefully you can see from this picture what I'm referring to. The second to last shingle on the ridge line is higher and looks different.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Ridge shingles question?

Yeah, something doesn't look quite right. The last ridge shingle will look a little different, but not that much. I can't really tell what the problem is.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #7

Ridge shingles question?

climb up there and get a better picture, would be very easy to figure out then
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Ridge shingles question?

instead of continuing the ridge run into the fascia they got lazy and tucked one under the fascia and used that one you are talking about to cap both pieces. Won't leak but looks like crap and is lazy, sloppy workmanship.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Shut in w/o Home

Ridge shingles question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
instead of continuing the ridge run into the fascia they got lazy and tucked one under the fascia and used that one you are talking about to cap both pieces. Won't leak but looks like crap and is lazy, sloppy workmanship.
I wonder if they just tarred it down or something and now one side is flopping in the breeze. I can't figure how it came out looking like that from this distance.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Ridge shingles question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I wonder if they just tarred it down or something and now one side is flopping in the breeze. I can't figure how it came out looking like that from this distance.
because they ran their ridge from the gable end like they should have, then they ran one or two pieces starting from the opposite side (at the transistion) coming backwards. Where the two met, he just nailed a partial ridge piece over both.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Shut in w/o Home

Ridge shingles question?

Quote:
because they ran their ridge from the gable end like they should have, then they ran one or two pieces starting from the opposite side (at the transistion) coming backwards. Where the two met, he just nailed a partial ridge piece over both.
Yeah, I know that. We do that often. But, the last piece should lay flatter than that.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #12

Ridge shingles question?

Quote:
Exactly. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Would they be able to correct it somehow and if so, is it expensive?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
MJW

Ridge shingles question?

That's 6 layers of shingle there on the ridge. Just a little sloppy and it flops in the breeaze because they tried to hide their nails under the first layer of the double layer ridge. You can simply go up there, take that high ridge off, tear the under layer off of that piece and just use the outside part for the cap and nail it back down.
Yes, face nail it back down, and I don't care what anyone says....those face nails WILL NEVER LEAK as long as they don't back out.

That ridge looks nice most of the time, but it's such a waste of material. Just another stupid thing that GAF "invented".
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Shut in w/o Home

Ridge shingles question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
That's 6 layers of shingle there on the ridge. Just a little sloppy and it flops in the breeaze because they tried to hide their nails under the first layer of the double layer ridge. You can simply go up there, take that high ridge off, tear the under layer off of that piece and just use the outside part for the cap and nail it back down.
Yes, face nail it back down, and I don't care what anyone says....those face nails WILL NEVER LEAK as long as they don't back out.

That ridge looks nice most of the time, but it's such a waste of material. Just another stupid thing that GAF "invented".
I believe we have a winner. Never seen that done, but that could likely "bunch" the cap up like that.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

Ridge shingles question?

I know what you mean about arguing with you suggesting that MJW. It's the quickest, easiest fix though. If you are paranoid about the exposed nails, dab some mastic or caulk on them.

Advertisement