Ridge Shingles Question? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Ridge shingles question?


I need to post a pic later when I get a chance... BUT, I have a question about the small roof right about my front door. I have a stone archway with a small peak roof above the front door. On top is the ridge with the correct shingles installed by the roofer. The ridge line is probably 5 feet is all.

Towards the back of the ridge where it meets the main roof, one of the shingles is stacked higher than the rest and doesn't look the same as the other ridge shingles. I had a roofer come out today to look at it because I was concerned. He said that's normal, that's the way they joined the ridge together? Does that make sense at all? I will try to post a pic later so you can get a better idea.

But from what I've explained, does that sound correct? Why would that one ridge shingle sit higher than the rest?

Advertisement

dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge shingles question?


No one??

Advertisement

dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


The last ridge shingle will be only the revealed part face nailed over the end(s) of the next to last ridge shingle(s). Probably nothing wrong, but a picture would be worth, oh, I don't know, a thousand words, maybe.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
The last ridge shingle will be only the revealed part face nailed over the end(s) of the next to last ridge shingle(s). Probably nothing wrong, but a picture would be worth, oh, I don't know, a thousand words, maybe.
Hehe you're right. I'll post one later tonight.
dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Hopefully you can see from this picture what I'm referring to. The second to last shingle on the ridge line is higher and looks different.



dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Yeah, something doesn't look quite right. The last ridge shingle will look a little different, but not that much. I can't really tell what the problem is.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 505
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


climb up there and get a better picture, would be very easy to figure out then
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,160
Rewards Points: 524
Default

Ridge shingles question?


instead of continuing the ridge run into the fascia they got lazy and tucked one under the fascia and used that one you are talking about to cap both pieces. Won't leak but looks like crap and is lazy, sloppy workmanship.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
instead of continuing the ridge run into the fascia they got lazy and tucked one under the fascia and used that one you are talking about to cap both pieces. Won't leak but looks like crap and is lazy, sloppy workmanship.
I wonder if they just tarred it down or something and now one side is flopping in the breeze. I can't figure how it came out looking like that from this distance.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,160
Rewards Points: 524
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I wonder if they just tarred it down or something and now one side is flopping in the breeze. I can't figure how it came out looking like that from this distance.
because they ran their ridge from the gable end like they should have, then they ran one or two pieces starting from the opposite side (at the transistion) coming backwards. Where the two met, he just nailed a partial ridge piece over both.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
because they ran their ridge from the gable end like they should have, then they ran one or two pieces starting from the opposite side (at the transistion) coming backwards. Where the two met, he just nailed a partial ridge piece over both.
Yeah, I know that. We do that often. But, the last piece should lay flatter than that.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
instead of continuing the ridge run into the fascia they got lazy and tucked one under the fascia and used that one you are talking about to cap both pieces. Won't leak but looks like crap and is lazy, sloppy workmanship.
Exactly. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Would they be able to correct it somehow and if so, is it expensive?
dbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
MJW
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 938
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


That's 6 layers of shingle there on the ridge. Just a little sloppy and it flops in the breeaze because they tried to hide their nails under the first layer of the double layer ridge. You can simply go up there, take that high ridge off, tear the under layer off of that piece and just use the outside part for the cap and nail it back down.
Yes, face nail it back down, and I don't care what anyone says....those face nails WILL NEVER LEAK as long as they don't back out.

That ridge looks nice most of the time, but it's such a waste of material. Just another stupid thing that GAF "invented".
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ridge shingles question?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
That's 6 layers of shingle there on the ridge. Just a little sloppy and it flops in the breeaze because they tried to hide their nails under the first layer of the double layer ridge. You can simply go up there, take that high ridge off, tear the under layer off of that piece and just use the outside part for the cap and nail it back down.
Yes, face nail it back down, and I don't care what anyone says....those face nails WILL NEVER LEAK as long as they don't back out.

That ridge looks nice most of the time, but it's such a waste of material. Just another stupid thing that GAF "invented".
I believe we have a winner. Never seen that done, but that could likely "bunch" the cap up like that.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,160
Rewards Points: 524
Default

Ridge shingles question?


I know what you mean about arguing with you suggesting that MJW. It's the quickest, easiest fix though. If you are paranoid about the exposed nails, dab some mastic or caulk on them.

Advertisement

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitch and ridge vents igneous1 Roofing/Siding 3 05-10-2010 05:07 PM
Ridge vent question turbomangt Roofing/Siding 1 05-10-2010 05:06 PM
A few roof questions before I begin... chrisexv6 Roofing/Siding 6 05-02-2010 07:16 AM
Ridge and hip shingles Axe McGee Building & Construction 2 04-29-2010 09:09 PM
First roof ... am at the hips and ridge KEITHnhia Roofing/Siding 4 06-23-2009 12:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts