Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge question

gonna try and upload pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Ridge question-image.jpg   Ridge question-image-2.jpg   Ridge question-image-3.jpg  

Thomas2335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #2

Ridge question

the first and third picture is of the same ridge. (3) 2x4s running the entire length of the ridge ... the second picture is of a different ridge (1) 2x4 the entire length. my question is, I want to have Shinglevent II installed when i do the re-roof .. can it be used on either of these? from what i've read the single 2x4 ridge shouldn't be a problem since the cut on each side would be 3/4" which would be a total of 3". ... the (3) 2x4 ridge line is over the garage and i really want to get some ventilation, so if i can't use the Shinglevent, what are my options?

Thanks in advance ... i hope this makes sense

Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

Ridge question

I don't think ridge vent will work on the triple beam area. Widest cut allowable by the vent I use (snow country) is 3 1/4".SV II is similar, I believe.
Standard vents would work fine, I like slant back style but we get a lot of snow.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Ridge question

Get your sawz all out cut the center 2x4 out every 2' then leave a lil or drill some holes in it. All ridge vents leak!!!!!! under certain specific conditions of course. Consumer reports did a report years ago, all leaked in wind tunnels except one brand the 4' section stuff. Use GAF cobra vent, Its similar to the sponges you use to scrub a pan after you burnt something. Good vent bugs wont move in and blowing rain has an obstacle course before getting in. Don't worry there is plenty of insulation to absorb and heat to dry any small amounts of water. Look in any attic 5+ years old and youll see the dirty line where moisture has indented the fluffy stuff.
Why Not! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Ridge question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Not! View Post
Get your sawz all out cut the center 2x4 out every 2' then leave a lil or drill some holes in it. All ridge vents leak!!!!!! under certain specific conditions of course. Consumer reports did a report years ago, all leaked in wind tunnels except one brand the 4' section stuff. Use GAF cobra vent, Its similar to the sponges you use to scrub a pan after you burnt something. Good vent bugs wont move in and blowing rain has an obstacle course before getting in. Don't worry there is plenty of insulation to absorb and heat to dry any small amounts of water. Look in any attic 5+ years old and youll see the dirty line where moisture has indented the fluffy stuff.
Is this a joke?

Cobra Vent...?

Best way I have heard Cobra Vent described is by Joecaption. "Cobra vent looks like snake trying to swallow a rat"

Do not use cobra vent on you home. Its crap and do not cut the ridge either.

Use some box vents or use something like a DCI Smart Vent.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

Ridge question

If the joke is ventilation, then yes its funny! A triple 2x4 surely its not structural, Its a ridge board not a beam its in compression, I see tons of houses with out any board or beam at all, cut some of it out its not doing anything anyway. 32' of ridge vent is equal to an insane amount of roof vents, 5 turbines, or 1 power vent. Anyone can put a crooked ridge on and blame the perfectly straight roll of material, no skill there. A snake that ate a rat, wonder if hes one of them guys that gets those cheap nails that bend when you hit them with a hammer.
Why Not! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Ridge question

Wouldn't put it on my home. I would run a solar powered fan or DCI smart vent.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Ridge question

whats the best "box" type vents? I see Airvent's "Louvers" vents ... are they any good?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #9

Ridge question

Best, like in all things is subjective.
I like airvent airhawk slant back steel roof vents, but they are expensive.

PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (05-01-2014)