DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Ridge Cap Question using GAF Ridglass (

MrUnderhill 10-22-2012 04:46 PM

Ridge Cap Question using GAF Ridglass
I just finished shingling a roof for a shed. I am installing GAF Ridglass cap shingles (Z-tab?) over a Trimline ridge vent. Once I run the cap course, how do I install the final end cap shingle (prevailing wind side)? Nothing in the instructions tells me how to do this and I can't find anything on the internet. Thanks, in advance.

joecaption 10-22-2012 05:15 PM

Cut a cap so only the bottom part is left and use 2, 3" roofing on each side. Cover the nails with silicone or roof caulking.

MrUnderhill 10-23-2012 01:18 AM


Sorry about the question, but I'm an idiot. I'm guessing you mean cut off the end of the shingle that would normally be exposed and then just nail that flush at the end of the roof? Is that correct? Thanks, again.

bcdemon 10-23-2012 08:11 AM

You've already brought the caps from one end of the ridge to the other end, stopping about 2 feet from the end of ridge.
Cut off the exposed part, and install THE OTHER piece (I call it a Starter Cap) at the end of the roof. Then install a full cap on that one. Now you should have 2 caps facing opposite directions right? Now you take that exposed piece you cut off and install it over those two caps.

joecaption 10-23-2012 08:22 AM

You are correct Mr Underhill.

MrUnderhill 10-23-2012 11:25 AM

Thanks guys...very helpful.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.