Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge board enough?

I am building a covered patio in my backyard. I currently have the covering started. It is 24 feet long by 10 feet wide. I have 4 post (one in each corner) that are treated 4 x 4 posts, along with a 4 x 4 post half way down the side of the 24 foot long section. I have 2 x 12 attached to both sides of the post to create my top part of the open space. I am now looking at constructing the roof. I half attached 5 foot 4 x 4 post in the middle of the 10 foot wide section at the top to the 2 x 12 pieces, so that the post extends 4 feet above the structure on both ends. I am now notching out the top of the 4 x 4 post in the middle to have a 2" x 12" x 24' long ridge board sink into it. The ridge board only has the 4 x 4 post at each end supporting it. I am not going to add the 2 x 6 (about 7 feet long) rafter boards from the side to the ridge board with a 12" gap between each, which means 25 down each side. I will also run a board about half way down the rafter board to connect both side together to create a stronger roof. On top of that with be the OSB boards and roofing material to create my roof. I wanted to try and keep the inside of the roof structure somewhat vaulted. When I close the underside of the roof in, I plan to use the cross broads connecting the the rafters from both sides, as my ceiling heigth.

Here is my question: Is the 2" x 12" x 24' ridge board enough, along with the 2" x 6" rafter boards, enough support for a roof?

Last edited by runningforyou; 07-28-2008 at 07:13 PM.
runningforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #2

Ridge board enough?

So I started reading your post ... and my eyes started to glaze over.

The thought - a drawing (use MS Paint) or a photo would have been GREAT.

Then I saw the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningforyou View Post
Here is my question: Is the 2" x 12" x 24' ridge board enough, along with the 2" x 6" rafter boards, enough support for a roof?
So, you wanna roof a 10' x 24' roof ... I'm not sure whether this is a barn style (ridge in the middle, gable to gable), or not, but the question has 'ridge board' in it - so I'm assuming there 's some pitch.

Anyway, yeah, 2x12 should be overkill by far. We roofed a house in Livermore, CA (the house was built circa 1995) which had a 1"x4" as a ridge board.

parkerfairfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Ridge board enough?

I'm assuming, of course, you're not roofing it with lead or gold bars.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Ridge board enough?

Actually a 1x6 would even be sufficient. The critical part you should be worrying about is between each bearing 4x4 post you ARE running a horizontal 2x for bracing correct??? Otherwise by running rafters instead of scissor trusses (would have been better, and probably cheaper and less time consuming) your outside walls will collapse outwards from any weight without the horizontal bracing on tops of your six posts.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #5

Ridge board enough?

Thanks for the replies. I figured that the 2" x 12" ridge board would be plenty, just wanted to double check. As for the 4 x 4 posts, they are all connected with 2" x 10" (not 2" x 12" as mentioned earlier) on both sides of the post. To picture this without the roof on yet, imagine and 10' x 24' rectangle with the outside edges being 2 - 2" x 10" (one on each side of the posts). The middle would then be open, meaning the two posts in the middle of the long sides are not connected to each other, but are connected to both corners on the corresponding sides. I am going to roof with standard OSB and composite roofing material. I have attached a couple of pictures. In the pictures you'll notice the both ends have attached pergolas, it's the open area that is being roofed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully my textual interpetation is not too confussing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridge board enough?-arbor-patio-construction-2008-004.jpg   Ridge board enough?-roof-001.jpg   Ridge board enough?-roof-002.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #6

Ridge board enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningforyou View Post
Thanks for the replies. I figured that the 2" x 12" ridge board would be plenty, just wanted to double check. As for the 4 x 4 posts, they are all connected with 2" x 10" (not 2" x 12" as mentioned earlier) on both sides of the post. To picture this without the roof on yet, imagine and 10' x 24' rectangle with the outside edges being 2 - 2" x 10" (one on each side of the posts). The middle would then be open, meaning the two posts in the middle of the long sides are not connected to each other, but are connected to both corners on the corresponding sides. I am going to roof with standard OSB and composite roofing material. I have attached a couple of pictures. In the pictures you'll notice the both ends have attached pergolas, it's the open area that is being roofed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully my textual interpetation is not too confussing.

It's (literally) 3am ... and the spirit is gone.

It must be me, but the pics look like the roof deck is flat.

Still don't get it.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #7

Ridge board enough?

r u gonna need a permit? There's no 5' to the fence ... and it's rather high. Hope your neighbors like you.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #8

Ridge board enough?

Thanks for the reply. The middle open part will be where the roof is going to be built. In two of the pictures, you can see the 2" x 12" x 24' ridge board going across the top. The pitch to the roof will be for every 4" across, it will rise up 3" (12" across then 9" rise). Hopefully this helps. Again, thanks for any advice your giving.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #9

Ridge board enough?

Good lord.... Im glad Im not your neighbor. Your glad Im not your neighbor. I would be calling the building department and every inspector I could get on the phone to have that airplane hangar looking thing ripped down. If that didnt work, I would remind them that the stepback isnt far enough from the property line.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #10

Ridge board enough?

LOL.

Well, that's something I alluded to earlier.

Good luck!