Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ridge beam crowning

I'm building a 10x16 shed... installed the ridge beam and rafters this weekend, and when I got to the middle rafters I realized the beam has quite a crown in it. So the gable end rafters sit perfectly (top of rafter flush to top of ridge board), but all of the middle rafters are sitting about 1/4" to 3/8" below the top of the ridge.

Is this going to cause a problem with sheeting? Can I simply sheet right up to the edge of the ridge board or do I need to add cedar shims so that the sheeting can rise above the ridge??

canuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
STAFF

Rewards Points: 8

Ridge beam crowning

One thing I use to do when this happened was to nail the rafters tight at the ridge while holding the heel up off the top plate. Once all the rafters are nailed at the ridge push the end of the rafters with the birds mouth down to the top plate and nail hard. Most times this will pull the crown down.

At this point, if you already have the rafters nailed, you can trim the edge of the ridge board back or just go ahead and nail the decking down and let it overlap the ridge board, it isn't going to be that noticeable anyway after the ridge cap is nailed down. The other thing you can do is as you suggested, let your decking stop at the ridge board.

BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

Ridge beam crowning

Turns out the side walls are bowed out just shy of 5/8" compared to the ends... does anyone think it's worth disconnecting all of the rafters from the ridge, pulling the walls in by 5/8", and reconnecting? Or should I just leave it alone, ensure my rafter ties are in to prevent any more bowing, and then add some cedar shims before sheeting?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
STAFF

Rewards Points: 8

Ridge beam crowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck88 View Post
Turns out the side walls are bowed out just shy of 5/8" compared to the ends... does anyone think it's worth disconnecting all of the rafters from the ridge, pulling the walls in by 5/8", and reconnecting? Or should I just leave it alone, ensure my rafter ties are in to prevent any more bowing, and then add some cedar shims before sheeting?
It really depends on you, if it doesn't bother you then let it go and deck it out and finish. If it does bother you then correct it. There will not be 1 person in a 100 who will ever see it and it isn't structurally a problem so the choice is yours.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Ridge beam crowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
It really depends on you, if it doesn't bother you then let it go and deck it out and finish. If it does bother you then correct it. There will not be 1 person in a 100 who will ever see it and it isn't structurally a problem so the choice is yours.
Well, if there is no good reason other than me being anal, I'll just leave it alone!