Reroofing In Atlanta,,, - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

reroofing in atlanta,,,

time to do ours - approx 34sq - 20' eave in front - 30' in back,,, pitch's 8/12,,, compl tearoff of existing 1 roof - replace roof vents w/ridge vent - new boots - ice/wtr shield in valleys w/3" reveal & smart enuff not to do this myself even tho i was a gc,,, anything i miss'd ?,,, have costs for replacing ply & have discuss'd some unforeseen costs w/2 finalists,,, thanks in adv.

Advertisement

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

reroofing in atlanta,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-elitecrete View Post
time to do ours - approx 34sq - 20' eave in front - 30' in back,,, pitch's 8/12,,, compl tearoff of existing 1 roof - replace roof vents w/ridge vent - new boots - ice/wtr shield in valleys w/3" reveal & smart enuff not to do this myself even tho i was a gc,,, anything i miss'd ?,,, have costs for replacing ply & have discuss'd some unforeseen costs w/2 finalists,,, thanks in adv.
Permit?
Dumpster, whos responsibility?

"Balanced" ventilation.

You need an equal amount of fresh air intake NFVA as compared to the amount of exhaust NFVA.

If possible, you should actually strive for up to 60% intake companred to 40% exhaust to promote the best air movement.

Safety procedures to be followed by the crew. Toe Boards and roof safety fall arrest ropes and harnesses.

Subcontractor crew or company employees. If subcontracting crew, make sure they supply you with their wormans compensation also, because the roofers policy who is subbing the job would not cover subs or 1099'd employees, which are just misclassified subs anyways. Payroll check stubs for documentation would be prudent, but rarely checked.

Specific brands of the material that you discussed. Grace Ice and Water Shield versus a generic brand. Certainteed and Tamko are said to make decent quality options, but make sure it is a quality material, otherwise what good will it do if and when ever needed?

Different styles of metal for the eave, gutter apron drip edge metal flashings and for the rake/gable edge, ODE, overhanging drip edge metal.

Time frame for completion. Punch list inspection and amount of retention at end until punch list items are remedied.

How are your existing gutters? Especially the hangers. If they are the old spike and ferrule, then upgrade to omni brackets secured with gasketed wood tek screws everu rafter tail spacing. No more than 24" O.C.

Brand of ridge vent. Shingle Vent II and Cobra Snow Country are reputed to be the top 2 choices by roofing contractors who strive for quality rather than cheaper material pricing and less effective brands.

What weight of felt paper. Wil exposed felt be tarped up each night to prevent moisture inhibition, which causes wrinkles? Not just from rain, but also early morning dew.

Thats all for now, but if you want to scan and attach the proposal, I would be glad to take a look at the particulars for you.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

reroofing in atlanta,,,

How are your existing gutters? Especially the hangers. If they are the old spike and ferrule, then upgrade to omni brackets secured with gasketed wood tek screws everu rafter tail spacing. No more than 24" O.C.

Brand of ridge vent. Shingle Vent II and Cobra Snow Country are reputed to be the top 2 choices by roofing contractors who strive for quality rather than cheaper material pricing and less effective brands.

What weight of felt paper. Wil exposed felt be tarped up each night to prevent moisture inhibition, which causes wrinkles? Not just from rain, but also early morning dew.--as critiqued by Ed
I agree,and say why not post the final paperwork before you commit,so we can look it over---you don`t have any snow ther right ???(seems crazy to a new yorker )

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
so-elitecrete

reroofing in atlanta,,,

whose advice i wanted to see - thanks for the responses - gutters're good along w/the hangers,,, 30# altho i was reading of a new dupont mtl the other nite in ' builder ' magazine that sounds interesting,,, both incl'd the container & both say a 1day job ( which i know better as no roof'll support that many people :-)

actually we've got 2 rooves - 1's 8:12, the other's more like 6:11 bringing to mind falls protection,,, both have w/c, gen'l liab, & completed operations,,, 1st guy responded to my phone call & came w/i 2d,,, 2nd was a homeshow lead,,, 1st man gets 2nd look.

will ask bride to scan & post,,, thanks, guys.

originally from upstate ny ( binghamton ) w/13yrs in the metro area so no snow's new to me, too,,, does anyone ever use ' rooves ' anymore ?,,, it once was a word
Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
so-elitecrete

reroofing in atlanta,,,

which cost'll be unrecoverable when the surviving spouse sells the house, 35yr, 4tab architectural the mtl of choice,,, decent or not ?

labor's 'bout the same for both but think the mtl upgrade's worth it imn-s-hfo.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

reroofing in atlanta,,,

What brand and style were offered as the base quote and for the upgrade choice?

Also, did you find out if either of those 2 contractors subcontract the labor?

If so, they need to have the same licensing and insurance certificates.

Check out a job that they either have going on right now, or one that is similar to your home that recently was completed. Knock on the door and ask how they rate the performance and customer attentiveness. It is easy to respond in order to get the sale, but what about after the fact?

I can't stress these points strongly enough.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #7

reroofing in atlanta,,,

YEAH BUDDY,bINGHAMTON GETS THE REALLY BIG SNOWS

Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
so-elitecrete

reroofing in atlanta,,,

3tabs,,, the subbing of labor's not that big as there're too many ways to work 'round that,,, watch'd 1 guy working near a friend's house ( HE was using the nail gun ),,, the other did a house down the st,,, both're good imo.

i have guys working on my license & my insurance ' covers ' them,,, just depends if you do your paperwork right & your insurance co gets pd,,, appreciate your input &, especially, your time ! ! !

john

[ the worst snow was in warren/sussex ( nj ) 10-11yrs ( ? ) ago,,, binghamton's not really in the snow belt off the lakes ]
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #9

reroofing in atlanta,,,

I`ve been in Ithaca when it`s been deep

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #10

reroofing in atlanta,,,

definitely pay for the 50 year,well worth it !(gaf/elk-high definition very nice)

Advertisement