Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Reroof result in termite fumigation?

I was just curious and wondering, if there are reroof jobs that result in finding and requiring termite fumitation afterwards.

I know when reroof, one may find rotted wood on parts of the roof that need replacing. But has it ever been so bad that termite infestation was suspected and fumigation recommended?

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Anythings possible.
Anytime you open up a house there's just no telling what your going to find that was ridden.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,140

I know one thing. If they find termites in your roof sheathing you have one helluva problem. Termites tunnel from the ground up........so, if they got to your roof......the rest of your house is compromised, I would say.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I know one thing. If they find termites in your roof sheathing you have one helluva problem. Termites tunnel from the ground up........so, if they got to your roof......the rest of your house is compromised, I would say.
Um, I thought that was a fact for subterranean termites (black ones). Drywood termites (brown) can infest anywhere wood rots (and where swarmers can find a crack/hole to get into). And subterranean ones you treat with bait and termite treatment in foundation, wood framing, etc. Drywood termites, unless localized to some spot, you fumigate house for.

I believe termites by roof, eaves, etc. are typically drywood. You'll find the subterranean ones only along walls and basement, crawlspace (unless like you say damage is so extensive they got up to the roof).
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,140

Daluu, my apologies. In my part of the country dry wood termites don't exist. Your original post just said "termites" so I assumed subterranean. I know drywood termites CAN BE spot treated IF the infestation isn't too severe. If there's a bunch of 'em, yes, a whole house fumigation is necessary.

I have seen subterranean get all the way up to the 2nd story of homes. In the last case I came across the Homeowner had been told he had black ants and his house was treated for them. When I worked on the house as I scraped wood for repainting, I noticed the little white "buggers" had infiltrated into the underside of the clapboards ALL THE WAY UP TO THE 2nd FLOOR! HO was not happy! Again, sorry for my oversight.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 544

In short yes.

When we do a job we usually know in advance if there is substantial wood rot / termite damage. It is usually known to the customer already, or brought to thier attention during our inspection. We usually will tear off, replace all the bad wood, then install whatever underlayment was spec'd. Once the roof is dried in, we can pull off the job to allow for the fumigation company to do thier thing. It happens a few times per year, not all the time.

Most of the time the customer is aware of the termite damage and they are also looking to reroof, it just makes sense to coordinate them while the roof is off. We have yet to surprise someone with a termite issue, it is uslly known to them already and they are filling us in on the problem.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments.

My home had past (hopefully not present anymore) drywood termite infestation (which appeared to be by eaves and garage door jambs where it meets the ground), and house was fumigated when I bought it. Roof has some issues but still functional, so don't want to reroof immediately yet. I know there is and will be dry rot in a few places. I'm just hoping it won't turn out to be worse than I thought (with more than anticipated damage, and possible termite re-infestation).