Replacing Shingles Building Permit - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

replacing shingles building permit

I live in sowthwestern pa. Myself and a friend are replacing the shingles on my roof. single family dwelling. no structural changes. Allready has ice guard so put down another layer of synthetic felt and proceeded to apply the new shingles. the township put a stop work order on my door and says I need a building permit. My township is "opt in" to the ucc . I am trying to find for myself why a simple replacement of the shingle would require a permit and if that is actually a ucc requirement. I dont see building permits displayed on any other roofing jobs going on around here. (One just 4 doors down!)
Do you Pa roofers routinely have to get a permit just to replace the shingles and no structural work or changes to the roof line? Thanks

Advertisement

SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

If you look around on some of the older post at all the hundreds of messed up roofing jobs you would see why it's a good idea to have to have them inspected and permited. Way for many gypsys flying around going from town to town ripping people off.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Yes Thanks, But in this case they stopped my work with half the roof off going into the weekend with rain coming. Talk about shoddy contractors ripping off home owners how about the big Home stores and thier cabinet relaminating sell job to people browsing the store and pretending that they are not a subcontractor . thirty dollars worth of laminate for 10,000 dollars. Dont need a permit for that. So my real question is: does the pa ucc require a permit for shingle repalcement or not. I have yet to find a simple answer to that in my reading. thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

The people on this site could be from any place on the planet. Not likly there going to know what required in your county.
A trip to the building dept. or at least a call is needed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

well thats why I was hoping to find somebody familiar with the PA ucc. I'm not looking for a reply from another country. I feel like I'm being singled out for this enforcement which is why I wanted to do the homework before I go down there. Sure would like to hear from a PA roofing contractor or from somebody expert on the PA UCC. Thats why I mentioned my county is "opt in" for the PA UCC. Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

Always do roofing jobs on the weekend.

A lot of communities refer to the UCC when they don't have a specific local code that addresses a situation. I've never lived anywhere where a roofing job didn't require a permit though.
angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

I am not telling you to break the law but which is more important to you ? Getting a fine or having some serious interior damage?

If it were me I would get the permit a.s.a.p.Otherwise put your exposed roof on and buy the permit.

Take plenty of pictures showing underlayments and anything required for installation according to your local building codes.

Also provide a material list and receipts of all materials purchased and installed for your project.And maybe a copy of the weather report.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
Always do roofing jobs on the weekend.

A lot of communities refer to the UCC when they don't have a specific local code that addresses a situation. I've never lived anywhere where a roofing job didn't require a permit though.

Everywhere I have lived doesn't! But then I am a foreigner from another land.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I am not from Pennsylvania and my experience with Building Inspectors is limited but, from what I see they are willing to work with those people who want to do the right thing. And they are willing to butt heads with those who want to butt heads. I can understand you not seeing the need for a permit from the apparent lack of permits on the neighboring houses.
I believe the permit cost is based on the value of the project. You doing the work yourself has kept the cost down. If the UCC utilizes the 2009 IRC then section R105 states that a permit is required and your roofing project doesn't fit under the exemptions of R105.2. The requirements for roofing are listed in Section R907 for roofing. If you want to look at the codes yourself you can go to the website below to view a PDF file of the code.
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_1_sec007.htm
Once you find out what authority handles the building permits in your area; would you fill us in on some of the details?

Last edited by Redding; 10-03-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: I found that the issue of code authority in PA is different and complicated.
Redding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

SS396 ? Someone is into Chevelle's , Impala's or a Nova.All three great muscle cars.If you have one maybe post some pix on the "Off Topic" section on Diy.I love roofing but I love cars more.

Didn't mean to go off topic on your thread.

Advertisement

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote