Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81
Question

replacing roof questions

I have a pretty standard roof on my split level home.

I have about 4 leaks, 2 I can fix up easily on the facets, but one is around the roof stack which is probably going to cost $400~ to repair as I have no knowledge of how to do that section. IF I would just repair that part. The previous owner extended the roof with a few trusts and installed the shingles poorly (nails jutting up, never removed old gutter hangers) so we're getting some leaks around that edge of the house too... and rough quote of about $2k on that part. SELA guy pointed out that the roof was not installed correctly either 18 years ago, the shingle do not overhang half inch or so, they're actually in about 1/8 inch which could cause leaks as well.

I got a quote from SELA for a repair of the leaks for 2k and whole roof for $6100.

The roof is about 18 years old, and is single layer. My GUESS is it would be wise to just replace the entire roof.

I am having a few other companies come out and quote, but what questions should I ask exactly? How long is labor warranty, shingle warranty (what shingles should I get even?), new facets?, building paper quality, etc?

Not sure what else I should cover. I don't want to get the cheapest quote, I assume I would want to go with the company who has a decent history, and decent pricing.

Thanks all!

vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 718

replacing roof questions

The roof should be completely replaced at this point.Standard underlayment on shingle roofs is 15# felt.I use 30 for little more cost.In your location I would ask about ice and water shield and get a good quality dimensional shingle.Don't know what you mean by
facets.Maybe fascia?If the fascia boards are in good shape they can be wrapped.If not they need to be replaced and then wrapped with a vinyl coated aluminum.
When replacing make sure your roof is vented properly.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

replacing roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
The roof should be completely replaced at this point.Standard underlayment on shingle roofs is 15# felt.I use 30 for little more cost.In your location I would ask about ice and water shield and get a good quality dimensional shingle.Don't know what you mean by
facets.Maybe fascia?If the fascia boards are in good shape they can be wrapped.If not they need to be replaced and then wrapped with a vinyl coated aluminum.
When replacing make sure your roof is vented properly.
how can I ask em to make sure vented properly? Or do you just mean the attic vents?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 718

replacing roof questions

Venting in a roof acts like a chimney.You need a lower spot(soffits) for air to enter and a higher spot (ridge ) for air to escape.More to it than that but this is the down and dirty version.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

replacing roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Venting in a roof acts like a chimney.You need a lower spot(soffits) for air to enter and a higher spot (ridge ) for air to escape.More to it than that but this is the down and dirty version.
Yeah, those exist every 3 trusts ... are you saying have them add more?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 322

replacing roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
Yeah, those exist every 3 trusts ... are you saying have them add more?
Do you mean one vent every three TRUSSES? Most often you would have continuous soffit vent plus continuous ridge vent added when the roof is finished up. Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

replacing roof questions

you are right, continuous soffits and ridge vents. I meant one soffit vent on the truss to the outside. The soffits are continuous outside though. I was told form a few people one every 2-3 truss is ok. ****, there was one every 6 before, I ended up making it at least one every 2/3 when I added more insulation.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

replacing roof questions

awesome, thanks sidingcontracto!